[BALUG-Announce] BALUG REMINDER: TOMORROW Tu 2011-06-21: Stefano Maffulli: Get to know the FreedomBox project

Mon Jun 20 18:45:49 PDT 2011

BALUG REMINDER: TOMORROW Tu 2011-06-21: Stefano Maffulli: Get to know
the FreedomBox project

Bay Area Linux User Group (BALUG) meeting
Tuesday 6:30 P.M. 2011-06-21

Please RSVP if you're planning to come (see further below).

For our Tuesday 6:30 P.M. 2011-06-21 meeting, we're proud to present:

2011-06-21 Stefano Maffulli on FreedomBox[1]
Title: Get to know the FreedomBox project

Abstract:
The FreedomBox is a generation of smart devices whose engineered
purpose is to work together to facilitate free communication among
people, safely and securely, beyond the ambition of the strongest power
to penetrate, they can make freedom of thought and information a
permanent, ineradicable feature of the net that holds our souls.

The project started because social networking and digital
communications technologies are now critical to people fighting to make
freedom in their societies.  Think of the revolutions in the Egypt and
Lybia.

Stefano Maffulli will give an overview of the aim of the project, give
an update on its status and provide information to start hacking on it.

Stefano Maffulli, long time free/libre software advocate, former
Italian Chancellor of Free Software Foundation Europe, helped Europe
reject the directive on software patents and in the European antitrust
trial against Microsoft.  Worked as community manager for open source
company Funambol and later at Twitter, taking care of user growth in
Italy.  Currently helping the FreedomBox Foundation reach its goal.

1. http://freedomboxfoundation.org/

See also a bit further below for some additional goodies we'll have at
this meeting (CDs, etc.)

So, if you'd like to join us please RSVP to:

                        rsvp@balug.org

**Why RSVP??**

Well, don't worry we won't turn you away, but the RSVPs really help the
Four Seas Restaurant plan the meal and dining arrangements and such.
We've also tweaked our "door prize" / giveaway practices a bit - so
RSVPing and arriving sufficiently on time increases one's odds of
winning door prize(s) and/or getting first or earlier pick of giveaway
items.

Meeting Details...

                        6:30pm
                        Tuesday, June 21st, 2011 2011-06-21

                        Four Seas Restaurant http://www.fourseasr.com/
                        731 Grant Ave.
                        San Francisco, CA 94108
                        Easy PARKING:
                          Portsmouth Square Garage at 733 Kearny:
                          http://www.sfpsg.com/

Cost: The meetings are always free, but for dinner, for your gift of $13
        cash, we give you a gift of dinner - joining us for a yummy
        family-style Chinese dinner - tax and tip included (your gift
        also helps in our patronizing the restaurant venue and helping
        to defray BALUG costs such treating our speakers to dinner).

------------------------------

CDs, etc.:

Additional goodies we'll have at the meeting (at least the following):

CDs, etc. - have a peek here:
http://www.wiki.balug.org/wiki/doku.php?id=balug:cds_and_images_etc
We do also have some additional give-away items, and may have
"door prizes".

earlier additional details:
http://lists.balug.org/pipermail/balug-announce-balug.org/2011-June/000171.html

http://www.balug.org/