[Balug-talk] No mail for you!

David Alban extasia at extasia.org
Wed Jul 23 11:43:02 PDT 2003

Greetings!

So, after running the cis security ruler[1] <http://cisecurity.org/>, I
chkconfig'd sendmail off.  Mail sent from the local machine to users
on the local machine (cron output, etc.) still worked.  After loading
the latest red hat kernel update
<https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2003-238.html> two days ago, and
with sendmail still chkconfig'd off, mail from and to the local machine
won't work:

$ mail -s test -v someuser
test
.
Cc:
someuser... Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay...
someuser... Deferred: Connection refused by [127.0.0.1]

iptables is accepting connections from localhost, so I imagine it's
the lack of sendmail listening on port 25.  But that didn't stop this
kind of mail from being delivered before.  What's changed?

Although tripwire has been running daily, I don't have any copies of
the reports after the kernel update--I usually get them via email as
cron output.  I can still update the tripwire database, and if I had
thought about it, I would have saved the intermediate file that gets
edited to update the database the day after the kernel upgrade.

This is a patched red hat 9 system.  uname output:

  Linux somehost 2.4.20-19.9 #1 Tue Jul 15 17:29:51 EDT 2003 i586 i586 i386 GNU/Linux

Help?

This is most inconvenient...

Thanks,
David

[1]  Slightly hacked to run on red hat 9
--
Live in a world of your own, but always welcome visitors.
                                 ***