[Balug-talk] No mail for you!

David Alban extasia at extasia.org
Wed Jul 23 22:09:01 PDT 2003

Greetings!

At 2003/07/23/19:29 -0700 someone wrote me off-list to say:
> Just chkconfiging off sendmail does not shut it down.

Indeed.  The machine in question had been rebooted several times since
chkconfig'ing sendmail off.  It was only after installing the kernel
patch that email to localhost stopped being delivered.

Currently, I have a laptop running red hat 7.3 which does not have
sendmail running as a daemon, and mail from a user on the laptop to a
user on the laptop is sucessfully delivered:

  $ mail -s test -v someuser
  test
  .
  Cc:
  someuser... Connecting to local...
  someuser... Sent

Compare with:

  $ mail -s test -v someuser
  test
  .
  Cc:
  someuser... Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay...
  someuser... Deferred: Connection refused by [127.0.0.1]

which is what's happening on the box in question running red hat 9 and
just having had the latest kernel patch installed.  (Mail to localhost
*did* work without sendmail running as a daemon before the kernel patch
install.)

O.K., let me ask a different question.  Despite CIS' contention that I
shouldn't be running sendmail if the machine in question is not a mail
server, then given:

  1.  iptables allows only localhost access to port 25
  2.  I need email to localhost to work
  3.  I can't get email to localhost to work without sendmail running
      as a daemon (this is *new* behavior since installing
      kernel-2.4.20-19.9.i386.rpm on Monday)

is it really that bad to run sendmail as a daemon on this machine (it
does have an interface on the Internet)?

Potentially useful info for the machine in question:

  $ rpm -q -a | grep sendmail
  sendmail-8.12.8-5.90
  sendmail-cf-8.12.8-5.90

Thanks!
David
--
Live in a world of your own, but always welcome visitors.
                                 ***