[Balug-talk] Grub

Roger Chrisman rogerhc at pacbell.net
Fri Jan 30 23:00:04 PST 2004

Hi,

This is my first time to install a kernel. After installing an appropriate
i686 Kernel with apt-get ..., I tried to do Lilo and failed. Probably got
lilo.conf wrong but I don't know.

So I booted up with the boot floppy I had made when installing Woody.

I decided to try Grub, hoping I could figure it out better than I had Lilo. So
installed Grub onto the system with:
# apt-get install grub

Then I edited /boot/boot/grub/menu.lst
with this:

 default         0
 timeout         5
 color cyan/blue white/blue
 title          Debian 0 Linux
 root           (hd0,0)
 kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda5 ro

(I snipped all the default #comments to keep this email short)

Then I ran the following Grub session and got Errors 15 and 19. Below the Grub
session I copied

____________start grub session___________

    GRUB  version 0.91  (640K lower / 3072K upper memory)

 [ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported.  For the first word, TAB
   lists possible command completions.  Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
   completions of a device/filename. ]

grub> root (hd0,0)

grub> setup (hd0)
 Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... yes
 Checking if "/boot/grub/stage2" exists... yes
 Checking if "/boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" exists... yes
 Running "embed /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0)"...  16 sectors are embedded.
succeeded
 Running "install /boot/grub/stage1 d (hd0) (hd0)1+16 p (hd0,0)/boot/grub/
stage
2 /boot/grub/menu.lst"... succeeded
Done.

grub> kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda5

Error 15: File not found

grub> initrd /initrd

Error 19: Linux kernel must be loaded before initrd

grub> kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1

Error 15: File not found

grub>
___________end grub session_____________

System details:

My /hda5 is a ext3 file system, not ext2. So why does Grub say,
"grub> root (hd0,0)
"
?

In my root dir for Woody (/dev/hda5) I have this,

bin/
boot/
bootBu20040117/
cdrom/
deb1/                     <-------- [1]
dev/
etc/
floppy/
home/
initrd/
initrd.img -> boot/initrd.img-2.4.18-1-686
lib/
lost+found/
mnt/
opt/
proc/
root/
sbin/
tmp/
usr/
var/
vmlinuz -> boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-1-686
vmlinuz.old -> boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-bf2.4

[1]
I have Woody on /dev/hda5 and Sarge on "mount /dev/hda6 /deb1" to chroot into
for work that requires more recent versions of stuff, like Zope+Plone 2 does.
Maybe a hair brained idea; over my head for the moment. Learning to get a
secure Kernel installed and booting is more important and my current concern.

In /boot I have these,

System.map-2.4.18-1-686
boot/
config-2.4.18-1-686
initrd.img-2.4.18-1-686
lost+found/
vmlinuz-2.4.18-1-686

In /boot/boot/grub I have these,

device.map
e2fs_stage1_5
fat_stage1_5
ffs_stage1_5
jfs_stage1_5
menu.lst
menu.lst.0
minix_stage1_5
reiserfs_stage1_5
stage1
stage2
vstafs_stage1_5
xfs_stage1_5

/boot is /dev/hda1 and is mounted (and is in  /etc/fstab).
So as a *guess* I tried that last line in Grub, above, but still got Error 15.
That was guessing in the wrong direction, right?

The "GRUB Manual" is my current guide for this stuff:
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html

Where have I gone wrong?

Thank you guys,

Roger Chrisman