[BALUG-Talk] Flash drives for Lubuntu 14.04 64 bit

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Fri Jul 28 20:11:12 PDT 2017

Quoting Michael Paoli (Michael.Paoli@cal.berkeley.edu):

> Wouldn't want to put words in his mouth, but guestimating ...

I think you're misinterpreting my question.  It wasn't why pick _Lubuntu_,
but rather why qualify a question that is entirely about flash media
with the requirement that this be media for a specific distro and
version.

To put it another way, I'm curious why Christian thinks Lubuntu, uniquely
among Linux distributions, and/or release 14.04 for x86_64 specifically
among Lubuntu flavours, has particular requirements for flash drives.
Is there something about that distribution & release/architecture he
knows that the rest of us don't?

If there isn't, then perhaps he should not qualify his requests for help
with particular constraints that aren't actually relevant to what he
wants to know.

> Ah, but the *scary* bit I notice ...  Lubuntu 14.04[.x] went EOL
> 2017-04 - so *no* security support, bug fixes, etc.

That's the next thing I intend to cover, after Christian gets around to
answering my question.

Which answer I await with interest.

Lubuntu particulars:
Released   Version   Support Ends
2014-04-17 14.04 LTS April 2017 - EOLed
2014-10-24 14.10     June 2015 - EOLed
2015-04-23 15.04     December 2015 - EOLed
2015-10-22 15.10     July 2016 - EOLed
2016-04-21 16.04 LTS April 2019
2016-10-13 16.10     July 2017 - now being EOLed
2017-04-13 17.04     December 2017

Don't install an EOLed distribution, Christian, unless you are prepared
to keep that machine airgapped from public networks and have a really,
_really_ compelling reason for installing an antique, unsupported
distro.  It's the dumbth.