[Balug-admin] meetings & BALUG meeting 2005-08-16 7:00 P.M. PDT. at Four Seas Restaurant, etc.

Michael Paoli mp@rawbw.com
Mon Aug 15 14:33:38 PDT 2005

I'll probably bring some magazines and possibly some T-shirt(s) from
LinuxWorld (and possibly also Picn*x14) - and perhaps some additional stuff.
I gave some other folks (mostly a few co-workers) a noon Tuesday deadline to
make a claim on any of the stuff they'd be interested in - I think that
deadline's likely to pass with nearly zero claims made.

Other items of potential note:
Next time LinuxWorld comes to San Francisco, looks like it'll be
2006-09-19 - 2006-09-21.  2006-09-19 is regular date for BALUG meeting, so
we might have very good opportunity to find and recruit a big-draw
speaker/presenter, and draw a rather to large crowd from LinuxWorld.  We might
also have opportunity to get corporate sponsors to assist with such an
event in various ways (give-away prizes, etc.).

I think I mentioned it before, but I'll mention again, other user groups
do often have agenda-less/speaker-less meetings, yet the meetings go quite
well, e.g. Bay Area Debian (BAD) and Berkeley Unix User Group (BUUG) don't
have formal programs/agendas/speakers.  The last BAD meeting was quite
lively and well attended (24 people (23 for dinner, one needed to depart
prior to dinner to meet up with another scheduled engagement)).

Of course, having a more formal program or agenda can work better for
larger crowds (e.g. perhaps >~=35 people).

references/excerpts:
http://www.idgworldexpo.com/live/99/TB216964
http://bad.debian.net/
http://www.buug.org/