[Balug-admin] Re: FW: ... and stuff....

Michael Paoli mp@rawbw.com
Wed May 18 21:30:02 PDT 2005

I'll be putting web stuff together (mostly just have to edit script
outputs from live demo portions to make them much more reasonably
readable ... most of the stuff will look like the handout materials /
"slides" ... except it's considerably more legible when viewed directly in
electronic form).  On the web stuff, I'm thinking likely two locations -
one on space I have with an ISP, and (presuming BALUG webmaster and such
are agreeable) one somewhere on the BALUG web site.  Presumably, at least
initially, the materials (at least what I provide) would be identical.
I'd guestimate the BALUG site may augment it with additional BALUG
related materials (e.g. your summation, some photo images from event,
etc.) ... and where I plop my "personal" (publicly accessible) copy
might have a tendency to evolve over time (like if I reuse the
presentation at another time/place, or update its information, etc. - so
it wouldn't necessarily be forever specifically tied to the 2005-05-17
version of the presentation).

Glad to hear you're writing up a summation.  Feel free to run it by me to
check for any technical corrections or such (if folks want to see it up
relatively "fast" - particularly if it's on web rather than list - could
always get it there first, and it could always be tweaked/corrected as
warranted later).

Uhm, I tend to keep my "work" and "personal" e-mail relatively separate
(sometimes even chopping a message in two) ... likely some of the other
bits will be responded to separately within a week or so.  Anyway, a
"reply" on this e-mail (which should use the Reply-to: header in preference
over the From:) should get it to the "personal" (everything that doesn't have
to do with stuff I do for my current employer) e-mail.  Interesting, ...
I also notice the BALUG mail/list/archiving software shows the From: in the
archives whereas others (e.g. BAD) preferentially use (if present) the
Reply-to:.  I suppose in archive context it may be debatable* which is
the preferable behavior when both fields are present, but their values
differ.  E.g.:
http://listserver.dreamhost.com/pipermail/balug-announce-balug.org/2005-May/000032.html
vs.
http://bad.debian.net/list/2005-May/002860.html
... in both cases the items were sent to the list with Reply-to: as
shows in the BAD archive, and From: as show in the BALUG archive.

*debatable as in - if they're both the same person/entity, showing the
showing the From: would probably make more sense (as the archived item,
showing only one, and without the header, seems to imply a sense of who/what
the item is from, rather than where replies should go - particularly if
the intent is to send replies to a distinct entity) ... differentiating
between the two cases highly reliably would be sufficiently challenging for
wetware, and likely infeasable to implement in a highly reliable manner
in software.

reference excerpts (yes, (semi-)random snippage may occur):

Quoting @wellsfargo.com: