[Balug-Admin] List confuguration changes/tweaks

Thu Nov 1 02:34:21 PDT 2007

Rick,

Let me know if you have any problems/issues/concerns regarding these
configuration changes I have in mind to make to BALUG's lists:

I'd like to change the list administrator address(es) from:
balugadmin@balug.org
rick@linuxmafia.com
to:
balug-list-admin@balug.org
(you and I are both included in the above alias;
balugadmin@balug.org apparently hasn't existed for quite a while,
and just bounces)
key rationale:
provide consistent presentation on the Mailman web pages about
list administrator/owner address(es); we (BALUG sysadmins,
presently myself and Jim Stockford) can change members of the
balug-list-admin@balug.org alias at will.

Also, I'd like to set the presently null list moderator address(es) to:
balug-list-moderator@balug.org
Likewise, you and I are included in that alias.

Also, I'd like to change:
Discard held messages older than this number of days.
from 3 to 21
and change:
Should the list moderators get immediate notice of new requests, as well as
daily notices about collected ones?
from Yes to No
rationale: stuff snagged for admin/moderator is mostly just spam and
occasionally non-subscriber post attempt (accidental or intentional),
it's highly unlikely any such held item would be so time critical as to
warrant notification to list admin/moderator more than once per 24 hours;
also, since the bulk of it is notification about spam anyway ... not sure
about your preferences, but I'd prefer to get notified about such less
often (once per day I think I'd find rather/quite tolerable, once for every
e-mail that's held, I've found to be quite annoyingly excessive).
Also, though I presume we'd fairly regularly dispense with the held
items, by extending the maximim hold time, we reduce the risk of possibly
losing an item that might get held and be something we wouldn't
want to discard.

I presume also that the admin/moderator functions can be done quite reasonably
(or even preferably) via the web interface, and needn't be handled via e-mail
originated with From: address of list admin/moderator.

Let me know if you have any problems/issues/concerns regarding these
configuration changes I have in mind to make to BALUG's lists.

Also, I have in mind some policy tweaks to make - those were basically
mentioned in earlier posting (noted below) - and they'd also be noted
to the lists when the policies are actually updated.