[Balug-Admin] BALUG Website Update

Andrew Fife afife@untangle.com
Fri Nov 2 20:37:21 PDT 2007

Michael, etc.:

Thanks for the update.  It sounds like you guys are making good progress
and I appreciate your keeping me in the loop on these below the surface
issues.

A couple of points to clarify:

1)I see the domains as only upside for BALUG because I've never had any
expectation about being reimbursed for them.  If we can use them in a
"redirect" scheme make BALUG less depending on control of BALUG.org,
great, but if not, no big deal.  Also, I assume we'd pick the least
confusing domain for the person being re-directed to rather than try to
use all six domains.

2)I would be very happy with the website that had a softer background
(personally I think Xavier's blue with the cityscape background is pretty
cool) and that clearly focused around two key messages: the next up coming
event & how to join the mailing lists.

3)In the future, I think it would be great to have a deeper website with
member profiles, forums, distro-downloads and maybe job postings *if* they
were done in a non-offensive manner and whatever else we can think up.
Lots of stuff we could do, but I'm thinking it would be tough to even
consider any of this stuff until Q2 of next year.  Basic & functional is
my immediate goal.

4)Any idea what it would cost hire a consultant to work on the database?
Maybe I can convince Untangle to cough up enough cash to help fix the
underlying issues.  There really is no harm in me asking for the money, so
give me an estimate and I'll go to bat for it next week.

5)I believe that I am now on the balug-admin mailing list.  My bad on
that, between speakers coordination, steering committee & webmaster, I
thought I was on all of the relevant lists.  Are there others that I
should be on?  If so, please let me know.

-Andrew

Andrew Fife
Untangle - Open Source Security Gateway
download.untangle.com