[BALUG-Admin] Still not authoritative (was: and up again: (was: Master nameserver offline again?))

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Thu Aug 25 13:56:37 PDT 2016

Quoting Michael Paoli (Michael.Paoli@cal.berkeley.edu):

> Oops ... that one was actually my booboo.
> And one earlier crash/hang.  <sigh>
> Forgot an important relevant detail earlier.

I cannot tell from that dmesg log what the likely root cause of
the kernel panic is, except it looked like a depressingly non-specific
SCSI-layer error.  Which unfortunately leaves open a lot of
possibilities.  A classic media-fault-caused error stream, in my
experience, reports 'Sense Key Error' language, at least on most such
occasions(?).  This one is more vague than that.

So, sux0rs:  Could be any of a variety of root causes, but my hunch is
that it's hardware, anyway.  Good luck!

Reminder:  I'm still stuck in 'WTF?' mode about this, and looking for a
comment or corrective action:

  $ whois balug.org | grep '^Name Server'
  Name Server: NS1.DREAMHOST.COM
  Name Server: NS2.DREAMHOST.COM
  Name Server: NS3.DREAMHOST.COM
  $

Just re-confirmed that as being still true:  Domain balug.org declares
three Dreamhost corporate nameservers authoritative _only_ for itself,
so, what is the point of ns1.linuxmafia.com also doing slave
nameservice, given that ns1.linuxmafia.com will never receive any
delegation hence no query traffic?

Suggest either amending the authoritative roster to add all secondaries
not yet listed, or thank those non-listed secondaries for their offer to
help and say it's not needed at this time.