[BALUG-Admin] (forw) Message distribution: Authorization denied

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Sat Apr 1 13:56:53 PDT 2017

A few days ago, I said (here):

  Recently, someone subscribed each of the SVLUG mailing lists to a
  Sympa-software mailing list at a large mailing list site -- a rather
  bizarre thing to even attempt to do.  I deferred action while wondering
  WTF someone was doing, then predictably the next time I posted to
  svlug@lists.svlug.org received an offlist notice that my 'posting' to
  the _other_ remote mailing list was being held for approval (because I
  wasn't subscribed to the remote Sympa list, only
  'svlug@lists.svlug.org').

  This clearly was not a tolerable situation, so I removed all of those
  subscriptions.

  My guess is either mischief or some bizarre variety of user mishap.

entered as a subscriber to each of the Mailman mailing lists at
lists.svlug.org, a couple of weeks ago.  Because I missed one when
deleting those subscriptions, today I'm able to cite it as a specific
example.  (I just deleted that last one, too.)

According to https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/blocktogether, it's no
longer an active mailing list.  The successor mailing list,
https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/blocktogether-help, says 'Block
Together' is 'a Twitter API tool to help cope with harassment and abuse
on Twitter' -- basically a crowdsourced blocklist.

Perhaps this was part of a low-level effort to monkeywrench Block
Together by throwing other Internet traffic at it.

I'm a little mystified that the unknown agent was able to successfully
complete creation of those subscriptions, because of the three-way
handshake process required to acknowledge that a subscriber address
really wants to carry out that subscription.  That is, the only people
able to receive confirmation mail to 'blocktogether@lists.riseup.net'
are listadmins of that mailing list, who'd see the confirmation mail in
the held-messages queue.  Strange.

And I've seen some other signs lately that there may be holes in the
three-way handshake process for some local LUG mailing lists.

----- Forwarded message from SYMPA <sympa@lists.riseup.net> -----