[BALUG-Admin] BALUG list(+list archives) migrations - temporary subdomain name: temp.balug.org

Thu Apr 27 02:13:52 PDT 2017

BALUG list(+list archives) migrations - temporary subdomain name:
temp.balug.org

Did it - set up (sub)domain temp.balug.org. for use with list migrations.

Thanks Rick, for the suggestion!  I think temp is best compromise
between fully descriptive (too long), and shortest that conveys meaning
(tmp may be clear to those more familiar with Linux/Unix, but may not be
sufficiently clear for, e.g. those interested in Linux, but not or not
particularly familiar with Linux).  At first I was thinking it not
having "lists" as part of the name wouldn't or might not be clear enough
... but including "lists" is relatively unneeded and unimportant and
makes the name much longer than needed ... and besides, it's only
temporary anyway, so temp is more than good enough, and quite
sufficiently short, without being overly terse.

Also, I set up temp.balug.org. as a delegated subdomain!  8-O
Yes, there's good reason for that, notably:
o makes dealing with it and changing it if/as needed *much* easier
   (dealing with changing stuff on DNS managed by DreamHost.com is
   relatively cumbersome and annoying)
o There are a lot or things DreamHost.com hosted DNS just doesn't let
   one do - e.g. change the TTL on DNS Resource Records (RRs).
o It's only temporary anyway - once DNS is fully off of DreamHost.com's
   hosted DNS, it can then be rather easily merged in with the parent
   delegation and managed with that DNS.

The NS and SOA records are needed for the delegation, at present,
showing the records we have:
$ dig @`dig +short temp.balug.org. NS | head -n 1` +noall +answer
+norecurse temp.balug.org. ANY www.temp.balug.org. ANY
temp.balug.org.         14400   IN      SOA     ns1.balug.org.
hostmaster.balug.org. 1493101447 14400 1800 1814400 1800
temp.balug.org.         14400   IN      NS      ns1.balug.org.
temp.balug.org.         14400   IN      A       198.144.194.238
temp.balug.org.         14400   IN      AAAA    2001:470:1f04:19e::2
temp.balug.org.         14400   IN      MX      100 mx.temp.balug.org.
www.temp.balug.org.     14400   IN      A       198.144.194.238
www.temp.balug.org.     14400   IN      AAAA    2001:470:1f04:19e::2
$

The www.temp.balug.org. and AAAA records probably aren't required, but
may be good to have, and can be dropped/altered easily enough if/as
necessary.

Also, while I was renewing SSL cert anyway, I also added:
temp.balug.org
www.temp.balug.org
to the cert, in case those may be desirable.

Timeline (gu)estimates?
I'd like to have working balug-test@temp.balug.org list by end of the
month ... but that maybe overly optimistic.  Within a week's time is a
more probable target to be met.
Following that I'm hoping then to move over the
remaining lists and everything off of DreamHost.com by mid-May - or
"worst case", certainly by end of May.
I'd like to move BALUG's lists, one at a time, in fairly timely
succession - but allowing some time between to see if there are any
glitches of note that come up - especially anything that's feasible to
better smooth the migration in the procedures.  The lists would migrate
in the sequence:
balug-admin@lists.balug.org
balug-talk@lists.balug.org
balug-announce@lists.balug.org
Will also have to set up the infrastructure to handle:
@balug.org
Once all that's done, then some final remnant bits to migrate/copy/rsync
from DreamHost.com, then DNS can be undelegated from DreamHost.com.
At that point (after suitable TTL wait) we're fully off of
DreamHost.com.
Can then reconfigure to return lists.balug.org to canonical,
and phase out temp.balug.org (e.g. before expiration
at 2017-07-24T10:44:00+0000 of cert that covers temp.balug.org and
www.temp.balug.org).

references/excerpts:
http://lists.balug.org/pipermail/balug-admin-balug.org/2017-April/003064.html