[Balug-admin] (BALUG) list migration procedure - high-level

Wed Aug 2 05:21:34 PDT 2017

"Of course" this is just the "high-level", but basic outline of
execution of list migration procedure (per list) goes about like
this (this is actual outline I used to walk myself through it to
be reasonably sure I didn't miss a step or do significantly
sub-optimal ordering of steps, the
... dump subscribers and options ... and
set member options
steps are the ones using the written perl WWW::Mechanize programs):

old list:
     save old descriptions:
         description
         info
         subject_prefix
     save start time and dump subscrbers and options (and end time is mtime)
     update BALUG web page (migrating)
     send out "last" posting
     to "read-only": "emergency" moderation
     update description on list (read-only, etc.)
new list/host:
     create new list:
         add aliases before notifying list admin(s)
         set description: short text
         set tag (from initial cap)
         set description: web page
         check/set options (notably DMARC)