[BALUG-Admin] Mailman, web scraping, case-preserved email addresses

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Sat Jul 29 15:01:25 PDT 2017

Quoting Michael Paoli (Michael.Paoli@cal.berkeley.edu):

> And turns out I can also access and save the case-preserved
> email bits.  Turns out it only explicitly shows that on the pages
> of members that entered their email address using one or more uppercase
> characters within.

Yeah, it's true that Mailman's regular display of a mailing list's
roster wrongly lower-cases everything in subscribers' e-mail addresses,
and that's objectively wrong.

I've filed a bug.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/1707447
(Mailman 3.x mainenance continues at the main project, but 2.1.x
has been handed off to Canonical.)

Once migration off Dreamhost is complete and you have _site_
administration abilities (use of the $MAILMAN_HOME/bin/* utilities),
thankfully you'll be free of these problems.
"/var/lib/mailman/bin/list_members -f <listname>' reports everything
correctly.

Having only listadmin access (as with us at Dreamhost) is a serious
handicap.

> (And  other random bits, like email instead of e-mail,
> using . to separate portions of phone number rather than -).

You won't be confiscating my hyphens and parentheses from me, any time
soon.  ;->

-- Rick Moen
   e-mail: rick@linuxmafia.com
   cellular: (650) 283-7902

FWIW, 'email' is a loanword from French meaning 'enamaled'.  The hyphen
stresses a semantic distinction, not to mention the pronunciation one of
EE-mayul as opposed to the loanword's pronunciation eh-MAYH.

And yes, most English speakers have never heard of that loanword, and
it's fair to call it an archaic term, at this point.  You're probably
one of the lucky 10,000 to hear about it today.  https://xkcd.com/1053/