[BALUG-Admin] listinfo.html Re: BALUG lists ... blank body with command in Subject: header, ...

Thu Sep 21 05:14:07 PDT 2017

And ...
after the custom bits are no longer needed/present in the
"General list information page" pages for each list
(which is apparently stored in:
/var/lib/mailman/lists/NAME_OF_LIST/en/listinfo.html
) - the custom bits coming instead from intro -
An introductory description ...
the custom
/var/lib/mailman/lists/NAME_OF_LIST/en/listinfo.html
files are no longer needed ...
removed those, restart mailman and ... functions the same
as if they were there ... even though they aren't.
As far as I'm aware it defaults to using:
/etc/mailman/en/listinfo.html
which it apparently initially initializes from:
/usr/share/mailman/en/listinfo.html
... only other additional change being it applies some
HTMLizations / char set adjustments, going from:
/usr/share/mailman/en/listinfo.html
to:
/var/lib/mailman/lists/NAME_OF_LIST/en/listinfo.html
... or, where the above doesn't actually exist, works as
a virtual/phantom as if it were there (defaulting to using
content based on:
/etc/mailman/en/listinfo.html
).
So, anyway, with that minor tweak, does leave things a bit
simpler and (more "guaranteed") consistent.

I'd earlier put in per-list tweaks in:
/var/lib/mailman/lists/balug-{announce,talk,admin}/en/listinfo.html
(via the admin web GUI) when, after lists had been moved, but
archives not yet moved and merged - older archives were still on
DreamHost.com hosting - so had some custom information in there to
provide that information and additionally links to the older archives.
Since that's now all merged and moot, have done away with those
unneeded customizations regarding two separate archive locations
(current and older).

The other bits mentioned earlier regarding customizations around
blank body anti-spam rejects work-arounds (notably tweaking
instructions mailman gives to users, etc.) - those customizations
are located in other files - and those remain - at least until
I/we theoretically get around to fixing that particular false
positive on the anti-spam SMTP rejection.