[BALUG-Admin] Root Cause Analysis (RCA)*: Re: S/N bobble -- waiting for Michael P. on this 8-O ... "fixed"[1]

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Sat Jun 1 08:23:22 UTC 2019

I wrote:

> Quoting Michael Paoli (Michael.Paoli@cal.berkeley.edu):
>
> > Yup ... one (or a few) step(s) closer to being able to better monitor
> > such a potential boo-boo.
>
> Just a sudden wild idea, not necessarily a practical one:  Just as
> software tools in the _conventional_ (non-VM) use case to ensure that
> zonefile S/Ns always go forwards and never backwards have advantages,
> one might imagine a wrapper for VM image files that builds a timestamp
> into the filename and enforces always moving forwards (or not moving) in
> time and never going backwards.

Somehow, my concluding paragraph got accidentally deleted before I sent
that.  I said something like:

However, I strongly doubt that the problem actually merits any such
programmatic guard measures, because this really seems like a problem
unlikely to recur.

(I may have had an additional paragraph beyond that, too, but can no
longer recall particulars.)