[BALUG-Admin] (forw) Re: Fwd: cooperation

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Sat Nov 21 20:43:12 UTC 2020

----- Forwarded message from Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com> -----

Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2020 12:41:28 -0800
From: Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com>
To: Al <aw009@sunnyside.com>
Cc: Michael Paoli <Michael.Paoli@cal.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: Fwd: cooperation

I'm going to also send this to balug-admin for collective knowledge.

Quoting Al Whaley (aw009@sunnyside.com):

> Rick,
> this one caught my eye... it seems to have gone through mailman on
> linuxmafia for the SFLUG mailing list.

_Sort_ of, but mostly not.

You as a listadmin for the SF-LUG mailing list receive copies from
Mailman of outside mail addressed to the sf-lug-owner@linuxmafia.com
alias (note -owner suffix).  If the initial MTA defences don't reject
the inbound mail to that role alias address, then it'll get out to the
listadmins, i.e., to you + me + Jim Stockford (the SF-LUG list's
three-person listadmin roster).

If you check full headers, you'll find that the 419 scam mail
originated from Microsoft Hotmail IP address 40.92.51.100.  See these
Received headers for that initial information: