[BALUG-Admin] I get emails ... <sigh>

Wed Oct 28 05:19:57 UTC 2020

I get emails ... <sigh>
... seems to be a lot 'o these goin' around:

Threat/extortion emails (mostly all bark no or negligible bite).
Seems they're probably targeting those more probable to fall for it,
e.g. smaller businesses and such that aren't particularly tech savvy,
... not that their targeting is particularly accurate, but maybe at
least what they aim for by the content of their email.

Trimmed and redacted for brevity, etc., both of these from same IP:
To: balug-announce@lists.balug.org
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2020 04:41:34 +0000
From: Patrick Wilson <patrick-wilson@coronaxy.com>
Subject: Your website www.balug.org has been hacked

We are the Cozy Bear and we have chosen www.balug.org as target for
our next DDoS attack.
Your network will be subject to a DDoS attack starting at 2020
November 2nd (Monday).
THIS IS NOT A HOAX, and to prove it right now we will start a small
attack on www.balug.org that will last for 30 minutes.
This means that your website, e-mail and other connected services will
be unavailable for everyone.
We will refrain from attacking your servers for a small fee.
The current fee is $1200(USD) in bitcoins (BTC). The fee will increase
by 1000 USD for each day after deadline that passed without payment.
Please send Bitcoin to the following Bitcoin address (cAsE-SeNsitIve):
[REDACTED]
If you decide not to pay, we will start the attack on the indicated
date and uphold it until you do, there's no counter measure to this,
you will only end up wasting more money trying to find a solution
(Cloudflare, Sucuri, Imperva and similar services are useless, because
we will hit your network directly).
We will completely destroy your reputation and make sure your services
will remain offline until you pay.
We will also download your database and do as much damage as possible.
Once you have paid we won't start the attack and you will never hear
from us again.