[BALUG-Admin] Fwd: Mailman 3 listadmin testing (and potential hosting) available

Michael Paoli michael.paoli@berkeley.edu
Tue Jul 16 07:17:22 UTC 2024

FYI, did send this out:

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Michael Paoli <michael.paoli@berkeley.edu>
Date: Mon, Jul 15, 2024 at 11:54 PM
Subject: Mailman 3 listadmin testing (and potential hosting) available
To: Grant Bowman <grantbow@gmail.com>, Grant Bowman
<grantbow@dvlug.org>, Aaron <acohen36@gmail.com>, Tom
<tomrlopes@gmail.com>, Ian <droid1836@gmail.com>, Rick Moen
<rick@linuxmafia.com>, Al <aw009@sunnyside.com>

Various SF Bay Area [L]UG(s) [potential] list admin folk(s),

May potentially be some additional folks (if interested, contact me).
Thought I'd invite, for possible testing, etc. some folks that are
list admins of various SF Bay Area [L]UG(s), or might be potentially
very seriously interested in that.

Most notably, have Mailman 3 fairly well set up (at least metastable)
on the BALUG VM (still have more Mailman 2 --> Mailman 3 migration
steps to fully test out and validate before I do all those migrations
for the production lists, including related infrastructure of automation
and information, etc.).
In those regards, if folks are interested in a test list on there for
potentially testing for [L]UG use and list administration thereof,
just let me know.  Note that there are test list(s) there currently
(notably balug-test3@lists.balug.org which is on Mailman 3 and will
eventually become and be merged into balug-test@lists.balug.org
when that gets migrated to Mailman 3), but I was thinking more
significantly and distinct from that, list(s) where I could grant folks
full listadmin access and control.  E.g.:
sf-lug-test@lists.balug.org
dvlug-test@lists.balug.org
berkeleylug-test@lists.balug.org
etc.
Could even do different (sub)domains, e.g.:
@lists.dvlug.org
@lists.sf-lug.org
etc., though subdomains would require some fair bit of additional
work/coordination to set that all up properly (DNS, SPF, TLS, ...)
so @lists.balug.org would be the simpler easier place to start and is
already available.
Anyway, if interested, let me know (and notably list name).
If you merely want to test list, can use the existing
balug-test3@lists.balug.org e.g.
or see:
https://lists.balug.org/mailman3/postorius/lists/balug-test3.lists.balug.org/

And yes, for at least many (SF [L]UG lists), I'd be willing to host on
the BALUG VM (and in general they could have their own subdomain,
in fact for actual general production use that would be exceedingly
recommended, e.g. something like, say for SF-LUG:
sf-lug@lists.sf-lug.org
sf-lug-test@lists.sf-lug.org)
But even if one mostly wants to reasonably well test out Mailman 3 and
list administration thereof, the BALUG VM may be a useful place to be
able to reasonably well do that (want to test drive Mailman 3 and see if
it might make suitable list infrastructure for your [L]UG?).