[BALUG-Admin] Gandi wins (was: So, joker.com, then?)

Michael Paoli michael.paoli@berkeley.edu
Sun Jun 2 20:40:57 UTC 2024

Rates vary by volume; some other discounts also may apply.
E.g. Debian Developers (DDs) get their greatest (E Rates) discount rate
(DDs used to get free once upon a time).
And, no funky business.  Can look it all up, so, shouldn't be any surprises.
And yes, some of their interfaces and documentation may have some slight
flaws/deficiencies ... wanna see 'em (likely) fixed?  Just create a
support ticket
on it, they generally get the stuff done!  (even fixed a very minor
issue I reported
before I was even a customer!  Compare that to, e.g. Namecheap.com that, after
more than a decade still hasn't fixed much more significant issues requested
by multiple customers).  I'm not sure, but they may also have
email address and/or web form or the like for reporting "webmaster" type
things to fix (e.g. minor edits and link issues and such).  And such may or
may not be better than using the basic support ticket route (and that might
also have a simple option to select "webmaster" for the relevant types of
issues - I've been with Gandi many years, ... and so far only had a
single occasion where I've opened up any type of support request).

Anyway, e.g. rates, USD, com.:
https://www.gandi.net/en-US/domain/tld?prefix=c#tld-table
A Rates (default, e.g. you're relative small fry and have only a single domain):
TLDs Creation Transfer Renewal Owner Change Restore
.com $17.75   $14.34   $23.99  FREE         $139.10 (A Rates)
.com $10.08   $9.74    $20.99  FREE         $53.50  (E Rates)

And this is unlike (most/many) other registrars, where, e.g. one doesn't
know and/or can't predict well ahead of time, what they'll charge
for renewal, and/or may have to play some song-and-dance
to get 'em to a reasonably competitive renewal price.
So, anyway, the prices on Gandi.net certainly aren't some
deep dark secret and/or black magic - all quite predictable
and easy to see and find.

Gandi.com - "no bullshit" policy - still very much applies.