[BALUG-Admin] (forw) Re: Comcast Business apparently blocking 5353 UDP Re: linuxmafia.com "retry limit exceeded"

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Wed Jun 5 00:14:53 UTC 2024

----- Forwarded message from Al <awbalug@sunnyside.com> -----

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2024 16:29:04 -0700
From: Al <awbalug@sunnyside.com>
To: Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com>
Subject: Re: [BALUG-Admin] Comcast Business apparently blocking 5353 UDP Re:
	linuxmafia.com "retry limit exceeded"

Rick, you're at the right place - that gear icon and right side panel
on business.comcast.com is just the right thing.
And I think the situation as you're outlining it is right to me.  So
the answer to your question, broadly, is yes I think you have it
right.
If you end up at securityedge.comcast.com, IMHO you've gone too far.
My sense is that all that stuff is disabled back at the right side
panel...
Once SE (security edge) is disabled I think everything is.  That
said, you're being smart about it - if symptoms persist, drill down
and look into individual
settings for various elements of SE and just make sure they're all off
- in case Comcast can't quite sort out how to actually disable stuff.
AFAIK however your nets (yours and Michaels) are unrestricted.
My tests from here are that access to both 96.86.170.229 and
96.95.217.99 on port 53 is not blocked (and not just those /32s but
the entire subnet in each case).
I am looking back over email from the last few days trying to sort out
where 73.189.65.18 crept into the conversation.
As I mentioned I have been unable to focus sufficiently on this the
last few days, and missed where that came from.
I also haven't looked closely enough at the discussion to see if what
I am trying to reproduce isn't exactly where you're having trouble.
I'll go back over the notes and see if I can pay more attention to the
details and whether I can actually add any insight to the discussion.
Al

----- End forwarded message -----

To clarify, I noticed "73.189.65.18" as the source of NOTIFYs for
Michael's domains, which can legitimately come _only_ from Michael's
authoritative nameserver, IP 96.86.170.229.

And 73.189.65.18 is Comcast's _own_ IP, not Michael's.

:r! dig -x 73.189.65.18 +short
c-73-189-65-18.hsd1.ca.comcast.net.

So, something is rotten, there.  I'm immediately inclined to suspect
that Comcast is playing man-in-the-middle games with DNS traffic.
Which, if true, suggest Comcast acting like a rogue state security
agency or one operating on behalf of a totalitarian state.  Not a good
look.