[Balug-announce] BayLISA Monthly: 9/16/04: Forests & Trees: Building Open Source Discovery with XML, Philippe Ombredanne

Strata R. Chalup strata@virtual.net
Sat Aug 28 12:55:30 PDT 2004

       BayLISA Monthly Technical Talk & General Meeting

Please RSVP to rsvp@baylisa.org so that we can get an idea of how many
will be attending.  This event is open to the general public. You do not
need to be a member to attend.
--------
Where: Apple Computer, Town Hall Auditorium
Addr:  Four Infinite Loop, Cupertino, CA
http://www.baylisa.org/locations/current.html
--------
Date:  Thursday, 16 September 2004
Time:  7:30pm - 9:30pm PST

Forests and Trees: Building an Open Source Discovery & Management Tool
with XML
Philippe Ombredanne

In a an ideal world everything on the network would have a simple
management interface, and every tool could access it. Well, in our real
world, large shops typically have at least one version of every major
network equipment, hardware, and software produced in the last ten years....

As sysadmins, we rely on a mixture of commercial and open source network
management tools and a lot of scripting and elbow grease to accomplish
our magic. What about an open source system where all management data
could be accessed remotely, without an agent to install on your 1000
servers and all protocols could be used with a friendly URL, and return
standardized data that could queried and combined together regardless of
where they are coming from?

The recipe? Put a dose of ssh, sftp, http, nmap, smb, snmp, wbem, wmi,
nfs, webdav, dns, dhcp, smtp, wins, ldap, sql, mibs, mofs, ping, arp and
a couple other in a large pot. Stir well your alphabet soup, throw in a
couple RFCs for spice, then add a pinch of URI, XML, Xpath and Xquery,
some scripting, heat up to a gentle boil, and you get something that
might taste good, or at least different.

In this presentation, we will walk through design issues and trade-offs
for such an open source system, and show new ways to extend the web and
XML to network management, using existing tools, techniques, and skills.
Some live demo will be made of the kind of weird and funny capabilities
that are exposed.

Philippe Ombredanne is the CTO of nexB, a developer of open source
enterprise applications, the last frontier for open source. He was
previously at BearingPoint, Accenture, and McDonnell Douglas, where he
worked as a sysadmin, developer, and consultant.

--------
BayLISA meets every month on the 3rd Thursday of the month.  A short
period of announcements of general interest to the sysadmin community is
presented, followed by a technical talk.  Anyone may make an
announcement; typical are upcoming presentations, user group meetings,
employment offers, etc.

For further information on BayLISA, check out our web site:
http://www.baylisa.org/

Directions and details about the current meeting and future events:
http://www.baylisa.org/events/

BayLISA makes video tapes of the meetings available to members.  Tape
library is often available at the general meeting, or for more
information on available videos, please send email to "video@baylisa.org".

If you have suggestions for speakers, or would like to volunteer to
present a talk at one of our meetings, please email the Board and
Working Group at "blw@baylisa.org".  Thanks!
--------