[Balug-announce] BALUG news: 2005-10-18 meeting: Shell Programming; and other BALUG news

Larry Platzek larryp@inow.com
Thu Sep 22 13:40:24 PDT 2005

BALUG 2005-10-18 meeting presentation: Shell Programming, by Michael Paoli

This presentation promises to be a quite useful, informative,
interesting, well referenced and fast introduction to Bourne (sh) and
compatible [Korn (ksh), POSIX, Bash (bash), ash, etc.] shells.

The presentation will cover a fast, but thorough tour of the shell and
shell programming.  It will cover all the way from why one would want
to learn shell, why start with Bourne, etc., how to compactly learn it,
through and including most key features of shell programming, and some
key differences and caveats among the shells, and a collection of
references to help round out leaning about shell programming.

About Michael Paoli, our presenter for this event:

Michael Paoli has been doing UNIX systems administration for well over
a decade, been doing LINUX systems administration for over 7 years, and
has been using and programming Bourne and compatible shells (bash,
etc.) since even earlier than all that.  He's also done well received classes/labs/presentations before, including topics of security, shells
and Logical Volume Manager (LVM).

For meeting time, location, cost (dinner), etc., please see the BALUG
web site: http://www.balug.org/

BALUG 2005-09-20 speaker: The Digital Tipping Point, by Christian Einfeldt

The Digital Tipping Point: The Culture Of Freedom In Cyberspace We had
a great presentation by Christian Einfeldt on The Digital
Tipping Point, including lots of information on the movie project, and a 9
minute sample of very impressive material which is likely to be be
used, at least in substantial part, in the film.  The Digital Tipping
Point is an open source documentary film project.

"We are approaching a digital tipping point." "One documentary film,
the Digital Tipping Point: the culture of freedom in cyberspace, will peer
into the future to see how this change might come about, and what it
means for humanity."

So, ... just because a BALUG meeting doesn't indicate, or indicate
reasonably well ahead of time that we've got a speaker/presentation,
should not be taken as an indicator that we won't have an exciting,
interesting meeting anyway - and possibly including speaker/presentation.
So, make those meetings! :-) (Sorry it wasn't better
announced/publicized, seems there was probably
a communication error or omission).

http://www.digitaltippingpoint.com/

BALUG "announce" <balug-announce-balug.org@lists.balug.org> moderated

The BALUG "announce" list <balug-announce-balug.org@lists.balug.org>
should now be moderated.  Hopefully that will keep the list relatively low traffic and more on-traget for more "important"/newsy BALUG
focused/oriented announcements (e.g. meeting announcements/reminders,
important BALUG news, etc.).

More general BALUG related discussions are of course always welcomed on
the "talk" list <balug-talk-balug.org@lists.balug.org>, which remains
"unmoderated" (though one must be a subscriber to the list, to post to it).

BALUG "admin" <balug-admin-balug.org@lists.balug.org.> archives ...

The BALUG "admin" <balug-admin-balug.org@lists.balug.org.> archives are
now open to the public (so one can read/browse those without having to
be a subscriber, search engines can index them, etc.)  For the
interested, curious, and/or bored, the "admin" list is focused more
towards the "internal business" and administrivia of BALUG.  If you
would like to help out BALUG, or might want to get some ideas on wherewe could use some assistance or more volunteerism, that list (and/or
its archives) can often be a good place to start.

Larry Platzek  larryp@inow.com