[balug-announce] BALUG 2006-07-18: Mark Ferlatte of Linden Lab on Second Life, etc.

Sat Jul 15 11:48:29 PDT 2006

BALUG 2006-07-18: Mark Ferlatte of Linden Lab on Second Life, etc.

For our July 18th, 2006 BALUG meeting, we have:
Mark Ferlatte of Linden Lab will talk to BALUG about the technology
beneath Second Life and present techniques for managing large
quantities of servers with only a few support staff. (Second Life is
a 3-D virtual world entirely built and owned by its residents,
population 200,000!) http://www.secondlife.com/

Next month, for our August 15th, 2006 BALUG meeting, we have:
Splunk, a company that claims to take the SH out of IT: TOPIC:
Splunk: Illuminating the issues in your Data Center. SPEAKER: Patrick
McGovern BACKGROUND: Splunk, based in San Francisco, makes a
web-based AJAX-enhanced search engine that allows system
administrators and programmers to search all their incoming log files
in real time (any type of log files: Sendmail, Cisco, MySQL, syslog,
etc.) with a browser. It's a powerful tool to allow people to 'see'
inside their systems as they are running. ABOUT THE SPEAKER: Patrick
is the Chief Community Splunker at Splunk, Inc. Prior to joining
Splunk, Patrick McGovern managed SourceForge.net for five years for
VA Software / OSTG.

Meeting time, location, etc. (also on the BALUG web site):
2006-07-18* 7:00 P.M. US/Pacific
$11.00 fee for dinner
Four Seas Restaurant
731 Grant Ave., 3rd Floor Banquet Facility: "The China Room"**
San Francisco, CA 94108-2113
Feel free to join us as early as 6:30 P.M. at the bar for social chat,
etc. before the main meeting.
*Almost always the third Tuesday of each month, 7:00 P.M. local time
**Sometimes we eat and/or meet in the main dining facilities on the 2nd
floor, just ask where the BALUG meeting is when you arrive and you'll be
pointed to the appropriate place.

http://www.balug.org/