[Balug-announce] current Job openings for Linux enthusiasts

Claudia Lindquist clindquist@penguincomputing.com
Fri Jun 9 14:55:51 PDT 2006

SYSTEMS/SALES ENGINEER
Location: San Francisco, New York, North Central US

Penguin Computing, Inc. is a rapidly growing provider of hardware,
software and services for high-performance, high-availability and
enterprise Linux computing. IDC and others project that Linux computing
will be among the fastest growing segments of the technology industry
for the foreseeable future. The company is privately held and backed by
leading venture capitalists. Management includes well-known and highly
experienced veterans of industry-leading technology companies. We have
approximately 90 employees. Penguin Computing is a roll-up-your-sleeves
environment where senior executives are accessible, and decisions can be
made and implemented quickly. This is an ideal environment for a
self-starter

* Support regional sales manager selling Penguin/Scyld products and
services via outbound field activities with potential and existing
customers.
* Troubleshoot software/hardware/OS/application compatibility and
configuration issues
* Support territory management including but not limited to identifying
and closing new accounts, growing existing accounts, customer visits and
presentations, contributing customer field data to Product Marketing and
Engineering groups
* Document and translate customer requirements to be integrated into our
product solutions
* Expect travel as part of the role

Requirements

* Should have 2-4 years experience with Linux hardware, distributions
(RedHat, SUSE, Scyld) and operating system internals
* Must have expertise in one or more scripting languages (BASH, Perl,
Python preferred)
* Should have experience configuring Linux for specific applications
(Web serving, database, desktop, etc.)
* Minimum 2-3 years Outside sales experience in consultative technical
sales (systems and solutions sales preferred) to Enterprises.
* Four year college degree in an appropriate technical discipline
* Driven, self starter with excellent verbal and written communication
skills
* Knowledge of cluster distributions and HPC a plus

This is a full-time position, salary commensurate with experience and
market knowledge. Penguin Computing offers a competitive benefits
package including medical, vision, and dental.

TO APPLY:

Please send your resume with salary history and expectations to
jobs@penguincomputing.com. Please include your name and desired job
position in the subject line. No calls please. We regret that we cannot
offer relocation or H1b visa sponsorship for this position.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scyld Software, a Penguin Computing Company, is the developer of Scyld
Beowulf, the leading Linux cluster operating system. Our goal is to
provide innovative features that deliver customer value in clustered
Linux environments. Currently focused on the High Performance Computing
applications, the Scyld Beowulf Cluster Operating System will add
features that will enable it to become the cluster operating system of
choice in High Availability and Enterprise applications.

We are looking for a senior Linux developer to work on the Scyld Beowulf
cluster operating system. This is an opportunity to work with pioneers
of the Linux movement and the inventors of Beowulf clustering. You will
join a small team of professionals working on exciting, industry-leading
operating system products and concepts. You will help us improve and
evolve our existing product, while researching and implementing new
concepts to advance Linux single system image clustering to the next level.

Technical Requirements
If you are a strong C software developer with at least 10 years
experience on cooperative software engineering projects, have a good
understanding of the software engineering process and best practices,
and have recent Linux kernel experience, we would like to talk to you.
In particular we’re looking for experience in any of these areas:

· Experience with POSIX/Unix compatible systems
· Significant knowledge of Linux and how a Linux distribution is put
together
· Experience developing kernel modules or device drivers
· Package installation and management software - especially RPM
· Experience leading a team
· Understanding of high performance computing, distributed computing and MPI
· Understanding of shared-nothing clusters
· Networked system administration and monitoring tools

We offer a competitive compensation package, stock options, full
benefits, and a casual working environment. We are located in San
Francisco's Financial District, close to BART and convenient transit hubs.

To apply send your resume to jobs.beowulf@scyld.com with your name and
position title (Sr. Software Developer) in the subject line, or fax to
415-954-2899. Please include a cover letter describing your relevant
experience.

Equal talent will always receive equal opportunity at Penguin Computing,
Inc.

ABOUT THE COMPANY

Penguin Computing is the leading innovator of highly scalable Linux
cluster, server and workstation platforms based on open standards
hardware and software. Scyld Software, a subsidiary of Penguin
Computing, provides the industry leading Linux clustering software,
Scyld Beowulf. The company's extensive customer base includes Fortune
1000 companies, government agencies and educational institutions.
Founded in 1998, Penguin Computing is headquartered in San Francisco,
California. For more information, please visit Penguin Computing at
http://www.penguincomputing.com and Scyld Software at http://www.scyld.com.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Software Quality Assurance Test Engineer

Scyld Software, a subsidiary of Penguin Computing, develops the Scyld
Beowulf Linux cluster operating system. We provide innovative features
for high performance computing applications and highly availability
enterprise applications. Donald Becker, the inventor of the Beowulf
cluster, founded Scyld Software in 1998.

We are looking for Software Quality Assurance Test Engineers to work on
the Scyld Beowulf cluster operating system. This is an opportunity to
work with pioneers of the Linux operating system and inventors of the
Beowulf cluster. You will join a small team of professionals working on
industry-leading concepts and products. You will help us improve and
evolve our existing product, while researching and implementing new
concepts to advance Linux single system image clustering to the next level.

Requirements:
*At least two years of recent experience with testing software under
Linux. You will be expected to complete a Linux proficiency test prior
to starting our interview process.

*Knowledge of:
· network configuration
· server configuration
· the Bash shell
· hardware device and module management
· the Linux filesystem
· at least one commandline editor such as vim or emacs
· general Linux system administration
· QA methodology, processes, and tools
· formal education in Computer Science
· Self-directed, detail-oriented and patient
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills

Contact Information: Interested candidates should email a copy of their
resume to
jobs.Beowulf@scyld.com