[BALUG-Announce] BALUG: Tu 2009-08-18 OpenHatch: Community tools for open source: Asheesh Laroia, Raphael Krut-Landau and Karen Rustad; + other news

Thu Aug 13 06:09:25 PDT 2009

BALUG: Tu 2009-08-18 OpenHatch: Community tools for open source:
Asheesh Laroia,  Raphael Krut-Landau and Karen Rustad; + other news

Bay Area Linux User Group (BALUG)
Tuesday 6:30 P.M. 2009-08-18

Please RSVP if you're planning to come (see further below).

For our 2009-08-18 BALUG meeting, we're excited to present:

OpenHatch is an online network for open source geeks.  The
fragmentation of Free Software means it's hard to know where you can
make a difference.  OpenHatch provides a profile engine so you can
showcase the contributions you've made and a cross-project bug search
engine to help you find issues targeted at your skills and passions.

OpenHatch is looking for feedback on their early alpha, enthusiastic
testers, and ideas about other community tools that can enrich the open
source experience.  The time will be split between a presentation and
Q&A from the audience.

Asheesh is the data seducer at OpenHatch.  He is a Debian Developer,
was a software engineer for Creative Commons, and put 288 inflatable
pink flamingos on his campus quad.  He has written testimony in an EFF
copyright case and volunteered for the World Food Programme in Uganda.

Asheesh will be joined by his two colleagues at OpenHatch, Raphael
Krut-Landau and Karen Rustad.  Karen served on the board of Students
for Free Culture for two years and has built viral media outreach
campaigns for Open Access advocacy group, SPARC.  Raphael is a Linux
enthusiast and web applications designer.

So, if you'd like to join us please RSVP:

          rsvp@balug.org

**Why RSVP??**

Well, don't worry we won't turn you away, but the RSVPs really help the
Four Seas Restaurant plan the meal and they help ensure that we'll be
able to eat upstairs in the private banquet room.

Meeting Details...

          6:30pm
          Tuesday, August 18th, 2009 2009-08-18

          Four Seas Restaurant http://www.fourseasr.com/
          731 Grant Ave.
          San Francisco, CA 94108
          Easy PARKING:
          Portsmouth Square Garage at 733 Kearny http://www.sfpsg.com/

Cost: The meetings are always free, but dinner is $13

After meeting meeting (?)
Presuming enough folks want to after the main meeting, those interested
may gather at a nearby venue (e.g. pub) for further discussion on, e.g.:
o BALUG steering committee (talk about what BALUG wants/needs to do and
    possible changes, etc.)
o stuff one can do to help BALUG
o ideas for possible future talks/presentations (got contacts/leads?)
o random Linux, etc. topics
o random networking
o discussion of topic(s) from/for meetings current, past, and future
o insert your topic here :-)

------------------------------

Additional upcoming BALUG meetings:

2009-09-15 Christian Einfeld on: Help yourself by helping the
             underdog... public schools. (Linux, Open Source, ...)

Missed the 2009-07-21 meeting on Regular Expressions?  Slides, etc. See:
http://lists.balug.org/pipermail/balug-talk-balug.org/2009-July/004456.html

Picn*x 18 - The Linux 18th Anniversary Picnic
This coming Saturday 2009-08-15
http://www.linuxpicnic.org/