[BALUG-Announce] TOMORROW: An International Look at Women in Open Source - Cathy Malmrose, CEO of ZaReason

Mon May 18 06:13:19 PDT 2009

Reminder:

Bay Area Linux User Group (BALUG)
Tuesday 6:30 P.M. 2009-05-19
Tu 2009-05-19 Cathy Malmrose, CEO of ZaReason on An International Look
at Women in Open Source

Cathy Malmrose will be speaking about "An International Look at Women
in Open Source" segwaying off her most recent article for OSBR[1]
(upcoming June article).  We will be exploring topics that cover why
there are so few women in Open Source, who are the prominent women in
Open Source internationally, and ending with a round of collaborative
suggestions on how to invite the other 50% of the population to
contribute freely to Open Source projects.

Cathy Malmrose is CEO of ZaReason[2], Inc., which is based in Berkeley,
California and builds and sells a variety of Linux hardware solutions,
including servers, laptops, and desktops. Cathy, in addition to being
CEO of ZaReason, runs a non-profit, Partimus[3], supporting technology
in education. She has also done much volunteer work with the nonprofit
computer recycling organization Alameda County Computer Resource Center
(ACCRC)[4], spent the 90s as a tech writer, and is also a
self-identified Linuxchick[5].

1. http://www.osbr.ca/ojs/index.php/osbr
2. http://www.zareason.com/
3. http://www.partimus.org/
4. http://www.accrc.org/
5. http://www.linuxchix.org/

So, if you'd like to join us please RSVP:

        rsvp@balug.org

**Why RSVP??**

Well, don't worry we won't turn you away, but the RSVPs really help the
Four Seas Restaurant plan the meal and they ensure that we're able to
eat upstairs in the private banquet room.

Meeting Details...

        6:30pm
        Tuesday, May 19th, 2009 2009-05-19

        Four Seas Restaurant
        731 Grant Ave.
        San Francisco, CA 94108
        Easy $5 PARKING:  Portsmouth Square Garage at 733 Kearny

Cost: The meetings are always free, but dinner is $13

http://www.balug.org/