[BALUG-Announce] BALUG: Tu 2012-04-17 Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Precise Pangolin, by Grant Bowman & Elizabeth Krumbach; & other BALUG news

Fri Apr 13 07:49:52 PDT 2012

BALUG: Tu 2012-04-17 Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Precise Pangolin, by Grant
Bowman & Elizabeth Krumbach; & other BALUG news

------------------------------

items, details further below:
2012-04-17 Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Precise Pangolin, by Grant Bowman &
            Elizabeth Krumbach
2012-05-15 Salt. Configuration Management and Remote Execution at Scale,
            by Corey Quinn
Twitter https://twitter.com/#!/BALUG_org
CDs, and other "door prizes", etc.
volunteering to help BALUG

------------------------------

For our 2012-04-17 meeting BALUG is proud to present:

Ubuntu[1] 12.04[2] LTS[3] Precise Pangolin[2]
presented by: Grant Bowman[4] & Elizabeth Krumbach[5]

Ubuntu's newest Long Term Support (LTS) release, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Precise Pangolin, is scheduled to be released 2012-04-26.  At this
meeting, we'll have co-presented from two wonderful local Ubuntu
experts, information on Ubuntu, and what to find and expect in this
latest Ubuntu LTS release.  Topics covered will include major
improvements to the Unity[6] desktop environment and new features
you can expect related to the Ubuntu Server[7] and the new
Ubuntu Cloud[8] images.

Grant Bowman has been a consultant and Internet professional for
over twenty years including a former Director of Silicon Valley
Public Access Link (SV-PAL)[9] ISP serving Santa Clara County and a
present Director of Partimus[10] serving San Francisco and Alameda
County middle schools with recycled computers, open source
software, training and support.  He is an OLPC Developer, Ubuntu
Member[11], Fedora[12] Ambassador, Debian[13] Developer and former
employee of SUSE[14].  Active Habits[15] is a forthcoming Android
app.  He is also active with Berkeley Linux Users Group[16],
Berkeley Unix User Group (BUUG)[17], Noisebridge[18], San
Francisco Linux Users' Group (SF-LUG)[19] and also Diablo Valley
Linux Users Group (DVLUG)[20] (every Friday in Walnut Creek).

Elizabeth Krumbach works as a Debian[21] Systems Administrator,
holds a position on the Ubuntu Community Council[22] and the
Treasurer and a Director at the non-profit Partimus[23].  She has
held a leadership position in the Ubuntu Women[24] and Ubuntu
Classroom[25] projects for several years and recently took over as
Marketing and Website lead for the Xubuntu[26] Linux distribution.
Former coordinator for the Philadelphia area Linux Users Group[27],
she is now living in San Francisco and is one of the leaders of the
Ubuntu California[28] team where she coordinates Bay Area Ubuntu
events and meetings, install fests, booths and hosts Debian dinners
every couple months for Bay Area Debian[29].

1. http://www.ubuntu.com/
2. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePangolin
3. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS
4. http://www.grantbow.com/
5. http://princessleia.com/
6. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_(user_interface)
7. http://www.ubuntu.com/business/server/overview
8. http://www.ubuntu.com/cloud
9. http://www.svpal.org/
10. http://partimus.org/
11. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Membership
12. http://fedoraproject.org/
13. http://www.debian.org/
14. http://www.suse.com/
15. http://www.activehabits.com/
16. http://www.berkeleylug.com/
17. http://www.buug.org/
18. http://www.noisebridge.net/
19. http://www.sf-lug.com/
20. http://www.dvlug.org/
21. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CommunityCouncil
21. http://www.debian.org/
22. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CommunityCouncil
23. http://www.partimus.org/
24. http://women.ubuntu.com/
25. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Classroom
26. http://www.xubuntu.org/
27. http://www.phillylinux.org/
28. http://ubuntu-california.org/
29. http://bad.debian.net/

So, if you'd like to join us please RSVP to:

                        rsvp@balug.org

**Why RSVP??**

Well, don't worry we won't turn you away, but the RSVPs really help
BALUG and the Four Seas Restaurant plan the meal and meeting, and with
sufficient attendance, they also help ensure that we'll be able to eat
upstairs in the private banquet room.

Meeting Details...

                        6:30pm
                        Tuesday, April 17th, 2012 2012-04-17

                        Four Seas Restaurant http://www.fourseasr.com/
                        731 Grant Ave.
                        San Francisco, CA 94108
                        Easy PARKING:
                          Portsmouth Square Garage at 733 Kearny:
                          http://www.sfpsg.com/

Cost: The meetings are always free, but for dinner, for your gift of $13
       cash, we give you a gift of dinner - joining us for a yummy
       family-style Chinese dinner - tax and tip included (your gift
       also helps in our patronizing the restaurant venue).

------------------------------

For our 2012-05-15 meeting BALUG is proud to announce:

Corey Quinn: Salt[1]. Configuration Management and Remote
Execution at Scale

Corey Quinn has been finding new and better ways to be lazy via
configuration management since discovering that "ssh in a for loop"
didn't scale.  He's a volunteer for the freenode[2] IRC[3]
network, and splits his time between Los Angeles and San Francisco,
where he's the director of systems operations at Expensify.com[4],
helping make expense reports not suck.

1. http://saltstack.org/
2. http://freenode.net/
3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Relay_Chat
4. https://www.expensify.com/

------------------------------

Twitter - you can also follow BALUG on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/#!/BALUG_org

------------------------------

CDs, and other "door prizes", etc.

Goodies we'll have at the meeting (at least the following):

CDs, etc. - have a peek here:
http://www.wiki.balug.org/wiki/doku.php?id=balug:cds_and_images_etc
We do also have some additional give-away items, and may have
"door prizes".

volunteering to help BALUG

Want to volunteer to help out BALUG?  (quite a variety of opportunities)
Drop us a note at:
balug-contact@balug.org
Or come talk to us at a BALUG meeting.