[BALUG-Announce] BALUG: Tu 2012-03-20: Vision Solutions: Double-Take Availability for Linux; & other BALUG news

Thu Mar 15 20:15:07 PDT 2012

BALUG: Tu 2012-03-20: Vision Solutions: Double-Take Availability for
Linux; & other BALUG news

------------------------------

items, details further below:
2012-03-20 Tu: Double-Take Availability for Linux, by Vision Solutions
2012-04-17 Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Precise Pangolin, by Grant Bowman &
            Elizabeth Krumbach
2012-05-15 Salt. Configuration Management and Remote Execution at Scale,
            by Corey Quinn
2012-02-21 OpenPhoto Project - Jaisen Mathai (slides,etc.)
CDs, and other "door prizes", etc.
volunteering to help BALUG

------------------------------

For our 2012-03-20 meeting BALUG is proud to present:

Vision Solutions[1] technical presentation on: Double-Take Availability for
Linux[2]
presented by:
Shaun Sellers, Linux Product Manager
and also on-hand will be:
Greg Ross, Solutions Architect for Double-Take software, Western region
Brion Donlon, Regional Sales Manager

Double-Take Availability for Linux is a continuous, byte-level
replication and failover software product.  As it can monitor changes to
any data files, it can protect any application - DB or others.

The replication is from source to target server.  Each server is
licensed and has the software installed. Configuration of what data to
replicate and what failover parameters are to be used is accomplished
by a universal console that can run on any Windows platform - PC,
laptop, server, etc.  The console doesn't need to run on the servers
being protected.  Source and target servers can be in the same room or
across any geographic distance - over any TCP/IP network.

As Availability is considered a high availability product, RPOs are
typically in the near-zero range because the data changes are captured
and transmitted continuously.  RTO (or failover) is typically in the
seconds to minutes range.

Vision Solutions currently supports most releases of RHEL, Oracle
Linux, CentOS, SUSE with the Ext and XFS file systems.  These
distributions are supported on physical and virtual environments.

Here is a short data sheet on the product[3], and website has several
white papers[4] also.

1. http://www.visionsolutions.com/
2. http://www.visionsolutions.com/Products/DT-Avail-Lin.aspx
3.
http://pdf.visionsolutions.com/pdfs/us-double-take-availability-for-linux.pdf4.
http://www.visionsolutions.com/Popular-Resources/Whitepapers.aspx

So, if you'd like to join us please RSVP to:

                        rsvp@balug.org

**Why RSVP??**

Well, don't worry we won't turn you away, but the RSVPs really help
BALUG and the Four Seas Restaurant plan the meal and meeting, and with
sufficient attendance, they also help ensure that we'll be able to eat
upstairs in the private banquet room.

Meeting Details...

                        6:30pm
                        Tuesday, March 20th, 2012 2012-03-20

                        Four Seas Restaurant http://www.fourseasr.com/
                        731 Grant Ave.
                        San Francisco, CA 94108
                        Easy PARKING:
                          Portsmouth Square Garage at 733 Kearny:
                          http://www.sfpsg.com/

Cost: The meetings are always free, but for dinner, for your gift of $13
       cash, we give you a gift of dinner - joining us for a yummy
       family-style Chinese dinner - tax and tip included (your gift
       also helps in our patronizing the restaurant venue).

------------------------------

For our 2012-04-17 meeting BALUG is proud to announce:

Ubuntu[1] 12.04[2] LTS[3] Precise Pangolin[2]
presented by: Grant Bowman[4] & Elizabeth Krumbach[5]

Ubuntu's newest Long Term Support (LTS) release, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Precise Pangolin, is scheduled to be released 2012-04-26.  At this
meeting, we'll have co-presented from two wonderful local Ubuntu
experts, information on Ubuntu, and what to find and expect in this
latest Ubuntu LTS release.  Topics covered will include major
improvements to the Unity[6] desktop environment and new features
you can expect related to the Ubuntu Server[7] and the new
Ubuntu Cloud[8] images.

Grant Bowman has been a consultant and Internet professional for
over twenty years including a former Director of Silicon Valley
Public Access Link (SV-PAL)[9] ISP serving Santa Clara County and a
present Director of Partimus[10] serving San Francisco and Alameda
County middle schools with recycled computers, open source
software, training and support.  He is an OLPC Developer, Ubuntu
Member[11], Fedora[12] Ambassador, Debian[13] Developer and former
employee of SUSE[14].  Active Habits[15] is a forthcoming Android
app.  He is also active with Berkeley Linux Users Group[16],
Berkeley Unix User Group (BUUG)[17], Noisebridge[18], San
Francisco Linux Users' Group (SF-LUG)[19] and also Diablo Valley
Linux Users Group (DVLUG)[20] (every Friday in Walnut Creek).

Elizabeth Krumbach works as a Debian[13] Systems Administrator and
currently holds a position on the Ubuntu Community Council[21].

1. http://www.ubuntu.com/
2. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePangolin
3. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS
4. http://www.grantbow.com/
5. http://princessleia.com/
6. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_(user_interface)
7. http://www.ubuntu.com/business/server/overview
8. http://www.ubuntu.com/cloud
9. http://www.svpal.org/
10. http://partimus.org/
11. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Membership
12. http://fedoraproject.org/
13. http://www.debian.org/
14. http://www.suse.com/
15. http://www.activehabits.com/
16. http://www.berkeleylug.com/
17. http://www.buug.org/
18. http://www.noisebridge.net/
19. http://www.sf-lug.com/
20. http://www.dvlug.org/
21. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CommunityCouncil

------------------------------

For our 2012-05-15 meeting BALUG is proud to announce:

Corey Quinn: Salt[1]. Configuration Management and Remote
Execution at Scale

Corey Quinn has been finding new and better ways to be lazy via
configuration management since discovering that "ssh in a for loop"
didn't scale.  He's a volunteer for the freenode[2] IRC[3]
network, and splits his time between Los Angeles and San Francisco,
where he's the director of systems operations at Expensify.com[4],
helping make expense reports not suck.

1. http://saltstack.org/
2. http://freenode.net/
3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Relay_Chat
4. https://www.expensify.com/

------------------------------

2012-02-21 OpenPhoto Project - Jaisen Mathai
Missed last month's meeting, or want to review the "slides"?
have a peek here:
http://lists.balug.org/pipermail/balug-talk-balug.org/2012-February/004794.html

------------------------------

CDs, and other "door prizes", etc.

Goodies we'll have at the meeting (at least the following):

CDs, etc. - have a peek here:
http://www.wiki.balug.org/wiki/doku.php?id=balug:cds_and_images_etc
We do also have some additional give-away items, and may have
"door prizes".

volunteering to help BALUG

Want to volunteer to help out BALUG?  (quite a variety of opportunities)
Drop us a note at:
balug-contact@balug.org
Or come talk to us at a BALUG meeting.