[BALUG-Talk] BALUG backup of mysql database for transfer ...

Wed Mar 9 06:27:26 PST 2016

BALUG backup of mysql database for transfer ...

So, BALUG has some old content in mysql database (PostNuke - MySQL +
PHP) hosted on DreamHost, and we're moving away from DreamHost hosting.

So, recommendations on best ways to save any and all of that mysql data
content, for later examination/restoration/extraction, etc.?  Not that
we're planning to ever, at least "permanently" run PostNuke again, but
on our "todo" list includes archive preservation/restoration, and that
would be one of those pieces (does hold a fair chunk of older BALUG
history - some years of wiki/forum/blog type stuff in addition to web
content).

So far, I've basically done:

$ (umask 077 && mysqldump --all-databases --host HOST --user USER
--password > mysqldump.out 2>mysqldump.err)
$ (umask 077 && mysqldump --skip-opt --all-databases --host HOST
--user USER --password > mysqldump--skip-opt.out 2>mysqldump.err)

Each time, above, no error output (just an empty resultant mysqldump.err
file).  And the files / amount of data isn't very large at all:

$ ls -onstr *.out
1532 -rw------- 1 1690893 1566321 Mar  9 05:39 mysqldump.out
2492 -rw------- 1 1690893 2547875 Mar  9 05:46 mysqldump--skip-opt.out
$

So, ... thoughts/comments/suggestions/recommendations on manner of
saving that mysql data - at least in some reasonable form we may hope
to do something useful with it in future?  (most notably at some point
restore enough of it to extract and preserve the PostNuke content)