[BALUG-Talk] FHS, ro /usr ?, separate (or not) /boot, etc.

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Fri Jul 21 15:41:36 PDT 2017

Quoting Akkana Peck (akkana@shallowsky.com):

> o Related to your point on being conservative on filesystem type:

Just to show I strongly concur:

linuxmafia:~# mount -l -t ext2
/dev/sda1 on /boot type ext2 (rw) [/boot]
/dev/sda9 on /usr type ext2 (ro,nodev) [/usr]
/dev/sda6 on /var type ext2 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime) [/var]
linuxmafia:~#

(Parts of /var and /usr are separately mounted and ext3.  This is an old
build; on a modern one I'd use ext4 where I currently use ext3.)

As to vfat for /boot, sure that's simple and universal, but you pay the
price that it's very much not robust.