[BALUG-Talk] Flash drives for Lubuntu 14.04 4 bit

Thu Jul 27 21:55:33 PDT 2017

Well, small number statistics - not like I've tested dozens
(or even half that), and many brands I've not had experience with.
But within my very limited sample set:

All those that have failed have been effectively "no name"
freebies from trade shows and other giveaway events - all
handed (or sent) out by some (non flash manufacturer/seller) vendor,
though some lasted an impressive number of years with rather regular
use, but others failed in well under 2 years use - even with more
moderate write usage.  Of those "no name", none of them had actual
USB flash manufacturer/seller printed on them.  As for the USB
data, some had valid vendor IDs for vendors I'd generally never
heard of (or branding of a computer store chain), or an invalid
vendor value (e.g. all bits clear, or all bits set).  Some of 'em
also had USB serial numbers of all zeros (all bits clear) - whereas
those are supposed to be unique - at least per vendor and product
ID (effective make and model).

Brands -not necessarily at all "best", but if we (wildly) extrapolate
from my very limited statistics - essentially I've got zero failures
on these, and from largest quantity of units to least, and perhaps with
a bit of bias on more writes to less, top down, have at least approximately:
SanDisk
Kingston Technology
PNY
Lexar
and omitting some that may be as good or better, but have qty. 1 and have
thus far received rather to quite light write usage, and some of those
listed above towards the bottom only have qty. 1 - but have received
at least some fair and regular or semi-regular write usage over some
years or more without issue.

Perhaps someone knows of good reliable site that's well tested and
rated USB flash on reliability? ... I wasn't able to find such with
at least a few quick searches.  I have seen such reports at least
for some SSD units/brands tested - but that may not necessarily
correlate to USB flash.  Others may have experiences quite
different than mine.