[BALUG-Talk] [BALUG-Announce] Reminder: TODAY!: BALUG: meeting: Tu 2019-07-16 Debian! ... & other BALUG News

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Tue Jul 16 23:27:30 UTC 2019

Quoting Michael Paoli (Michael.Paoli@cal.berkeley.edu):

>o At this meeting - we'll have a someone with 20 years experience using
>  and doing systems administration of Debian.

Hey, I've been administering Debian since 2.1 'slink', as well, so that
makes two decades for me, too.  (The Official Debian installer was
rather dreadful, then, and the replacement d-i installer introduced with
'sarge' (3.1) is miles better.

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller

> >o Debian Birthday ("born" 2019-08-16) / Debian @ 25 / Debian Day /
> >  Debian Appreciation Day

I see that 'Debian Day' aka 'Debian Appreciation Day' is the anniversary
of when the late Ian Murdock founded the project on 1993-08-16.
Personally, I would want to count from the release date of the first
public beta, v. 0.90, on 1994-01-26.  Over 25 years either way, though.

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/historic-linux/distributions/debian-0.91/ChangeLog