[BALUG-Talk] Dynamic DNS updates and letsencrypt.org ... yummy! :-)

Sun Mar 29 03:56:25 UTC 2020

> Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2020 13:32:44 +0100
> Subject: Re: [BALUG-Talk] Dynamic DNS updates and letsencrypt.org
> ... yummy! :-)
> To: Michael Paoli <Michael.Paoli@cal.berkeley.edu>

> What exactly do you mean when you say dynamic DNS?
> Any specific software you used?

[redirecting this to back on-list]

The dynamic DNS portion - and least as I've used it, uses protocol from
RFC2136 https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2136
(see also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_DNS)
to provide a means of updating DNS, without the traditional manual
editing of zone file.  Essentially an API for making DNS changes,
so such can be done (or at least submitted) quite quickly, and lends
itself well to automation (and scalability, etc.).

The specific software used?  At the "lowest levels" I'm using nsupdate(1).
Generally with suitable key, nsupdate effectively authenticates to DNS
master nameserver and corresponding key (and authorized access) on the DNS
master nameserver, and then can proceed to submit permitted changes.

That's mostly it on the DNS side.

As for the letsencrypt.org certs, I'm using the certbot(1) client.
The certbot client has capabilities to be configured to use a key with
dynamic DNS.  It can also be given options and option arguments to call
programs for the "manual" parts of the verification process.  These
programs, however, needn't be manual - and can in fact also be leveraged
to fully automate the process.  So that's what I did.  Essentially put
in place (added) various infrastructure and configuration bits, to be
able to fully automate the requesting and obtaining of certs, including
the required validation portions done via DNS - and the requisite adding
(and later removing) of the DNS records used for validation.

So, the requisite components, as I've implemented, are about like this:

o DNS master(s)
o dynamic DNS - including key to allow the requisite DNS updates
o some limited sudo access, so relevant ID can indirectly make use of
   said key, but never has access to itself read the key.  The reasons
   it's done this way, is not only control of access to the key, but with
   the helper program that is allowed for that ID via sudo, there are
   additional further checks/restrictions, so the ID can only add and
   drop appropriate DNS records of appropriate name and format - tighter
   restrictions beyond just those configured (and that can be configured)
   on the key itself.
o a pair of helper programs for certbot and calling those from certbot
   with appropriate options and option arguments.  These not only
   leverage the other program (and via sudo) to add/drop the relevant
   DNS data, but also, in the case of adding, checks that the data that
   has been requested to be added has propagated to the responding
   authoritative nameservers before proceeding further - thus very much
   helping ensure that the verification step will pass (rather than fail
   due to letsencrypt.org checking an authoritative nameserver where the
   requisite validation data hasn't yet propagated to the nameserver
   checked).
o there's also a wrapper program that handles creating private key(s)
   and CSR(s), and then invoking certbot to request the cert(s) for the
   CSR(s).