[BALUG-Talk] Possible solution of blankness or editing outline-only on BALUG DokuWiki?

Fri Apr 23 15:44:22 UTC 2021

Well, not out of the woods yet.

Have done fair bit of compression (even using xz -9) of some
moderately older data on /var ... and have grown /var several
times, ... yet it filled up again very recently (or exceedingly
close - I saw it at 100% again, but that's probably rounded, so
at least >99.5%).

So, at present, now have:
# df -h /var
Filesystem             Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/balug-var  6.4G  5.7G  491M  93% /var
#
And very recently (only few days back) that was:
> df -h /var
> Filesystem             Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/mapper/balug-var  4.9G  4.5G  190M  97% /var
Can't just keep growing /var indefinitely.
Much of the volume is mail and related - logs, queued mail,
bounces & failures, mail to listadmin and postmaster, etc., and mostly
lots of other nuisance stuff - fail2ban database takes fair bit of space,
but trimming what that holds would increase data in other logs - notably
of lots of nuisance failed login/authentication attempts and the like.

And, even if I caught it before completely full, some services (e.g.
exim4) will proactively stop processing when the free filesystem
space runs too low.

So, yeah, I'll need to do some more work on it.  May need to analyze why
it's ballooning more than it was in past - what's the nature of the
problematic traffic that keeps driving up the storage.

I suspect it's mostly spam (and attempts thereof) and bad bots
doing/attempting stuff ... essentially all some type(s) of nefarious
unwanted traffic chewing up resources.

So, in only a couple days or so, it's already nearly 1.5 GiB more data,
and that's already after having done fair bit of aggressive data
data compression on some older data (e.g. some of the older mail data
easily compressed from around 200 of MiB to under a few tens of MB ...
and I even moved the compressed off of the /var filesystem).

So, ..., yeah, miscreants on 'da Internet ... more work for me to do.  :-/

Would also be nice to get some of that /var space back, and not have to give
so much of it over to what's basically mostly unintersting crud.

And, have had stuff like this happen before, ... e.g. like bad bots trying
to register on wiki - and chewing up huge volumes of space ... that's why
there's no self-registration option anymore ... blame it on abusers on
'da Internet.  Manual registration only now.  Even captcha's weren't really
enough for most of that ... bad bots still pounded away and repeatedly
filled up log space.  Maybe more fail2ban config would help that ... but then
that also ends up chewing up additional space with its database ...

# du -x /var | sort -bnr | head -n 12
5866812 /var
2102592 /var/lib
1249060 /var/log