[Balug-test] [BALUG-Admin] (pre-announce / "soft" open) BALUG-Test list

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Mon Jul 10 23:51:40 PDT 2017

Quoting Michael Paoli (Michael.Paoli@cal.berkeley.edu):

> And ... well, not exactly step-by-step, but tracking fair bit of
> migration and testing here:
> https://www.wiki.balug.org/wiki/doku.php?id=balug:mail_and_lists

Includes:

   mailman admin commands should work via email (need more complete list)

This is woefully underdocumented (and underdeveloped?).  I'm really not
the extent of such functions.  The standard doc for Mailman listadmins
doesn't mention any, but it's known to be incomplete:
https://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman-admin/index.html
Here's an example, showing how the listadmin can approve/reject/discard
a held message entirely via e-mail:
https://wiki.list.org/DOC/How%20do%20I%20respond%20to%20a%20held%20message%20notification%20to%20accept%20or%20discard%20the%20message%3F

That is in response to a held-message notice.  In general, it _appears_
that Mailman doesn't really offer to listadmins the abilities it does
to them via the WebUI.

In the Mailman conceptual model, docs are kept separately for users,
listadmins, and site admins.

Maybe one reason for paucity of administrative functions via e-mail is
that the command-line tools for site admins are so excellent -- from the
Unix shell.  Here is the list of the standard tools:

https://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/site.html

During the years that Marc Merlin administered the SVLUG mailing lists,
he made me aware that there is also a robust and active community of
people making additional command-line tools for Mailman that are not
necessarily included in the Mailman standard package.  I have a bunch of
those that Merlin collected on linuxmafia.com in an archival replica of
what Merlin put together.