[BALUG-Test] Oooh, ... archive tests ... :-)

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Wed Sep 20 14:35:12 PDT 2017

Aaron, I seem to no longer have Michael's upthread posting around,
so I'm keying off your post to respond to him.

Michael Paoli wrote:

> I changed the archiving
> of BALUG-Test from (default of) monthly, to yearly,
> that's all fine and good *except* ... archiving looks
> a bit funky ... notably changing that setting doesn't
> retroactively change what's already been archived, so,
> e.g. on
> https://temp.balug.org/pipermail/balug-test/
> we see something that looks approximatley like:
> Archive ...
> August 2017: ...
> July 2017: ...
> 2017: ...

Fix that using /var/lib/mailman/bin/arch to re-gen the archive, like:

$ su -
# su - list
$ cd /var/lib/mailman
$ bin/arch -q --wipe balug-test archives/private/balug-test.mbox/balug-test.mbox
$ exit
# exit
$

You don't want to be the root user, or you'll end up having to later
retroactively chown to list:list the generated archves.  (I've made that
mistake a time or three.  Maybe you just figured that out.  ;->  )

/var/lib/mailman/bin/arch will set permissions right.  Just don't run it
as the wrong user.

(The 'arch' in $PATH is of course something else entirely.)