[Balug-admin] BALUG 2005-05-17 meeting presentation

Michael Paoli mp@rawbw.com
Wed Apr 20 09:17:10 PDT 2005

And yes, I'm confirming for the presentation for the BALUG 2005-05-17 meeting.

For the web site ... hmmmm, might first want to correct the presently
self-contradictory text (or whatever/however it was generated):
"The next meeting is today (Tuesday, May 17th) at 7pm"

Anyway, for at least a short(?) little blurb to update the web site, at
the moment, you can add this on there (or if this is way too long, see
the shorter alternative version further below):
"
For our May 17th meeting, we will have a presentation by Michael Paoli
on Logical Volume Manager (LVM) on LINUX.  LVM allows for rather
powerful and flexible management of hard drive space.  Rather than
mostly having to deal with physical disks and partitions, with LVM, one
creates logical volumes, which can then be used to contain filesystems
or other data.  Unlike physical hard drives or partitions, however,
logical volumes can be relocated - including to other physical disks -
while the data is in use, and logical volumes can also be resized,
again, while their data is in use (provided whatever is using the data
can handle that - e.g.  this can be very powerful for filesystem types
that can be grown with the filesystem mounted).  Also, unlike
partitions on physical hard drives, when one grows a logical volume,
one generally only needs available space in the volume group (which is
composed of whole disks devices and/or partitions), and avoids all the
typical issues of resizing a partition (with partitions, one needs
contiguous available space after a partition to grow a partition).  One
can also span multiple physical disks with a logical volume, and thus
have filesystems that are larger than the physical disk size.  These
are some of LVM's powerful capabilities.  The meeting presentation also
promises to include live demonstration of some of LVM's capabilities.
"

Anyway, ... that should do for a, ... uhm, ... "short" blurb on the web
site.  If it's quite too big to be feasible to go there, perhaps
alternatively, this would do:
"
For our May 17th meeting, we will have a presentation by Michael Paoli
on Logical Volume Manager (LVM) on LINUX.  LVM allows for rather
powerful and flexible management of hard drive space (e.g. relocating
mounted filesystem to another hard drive or growing it without
particular regard to partition boundaries, etc.).  The meeting
presentation also promises to include live demonstration of some of
LVM's capabilities.
"

I'll also put together a bit more polished text that can be used for
BALUG-announce, etc.  Expect that within a week (holler if you need it
sooner).

references/excerpts:
http://lists.balug.org/private.cgi/balug-admin-balug.org/2005-March/000017.html