[Balug-admin] Recent site changes.

Michael Paoli mp@rawbw.com
Sat May 21 20:39:54 PDT 2005

Well, ... good that the information's there :-) ...

But I did stumble across some issues, ... some of which may be a bit
problematic/confusing for "user experience/interface" and such.

The link off the main page:
Review of lecture covering LVM
http://www.balug.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1

doesn't (at least under Lynx or Mozilla 1.0.0) seem to lead to
what one would expect for
Review of lecture covering LVM
... there seem to be some relatively promising links from that point,
but they seem to mostly (or entirely?) lead to a recursion of the problem -
still not getting to what one would likely expect to see for the contents.

I did find this URL, which seems to get to the content I'm thinking would be
expected:
http://www.balug.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpWiki&file=index&pagename=May%202005%20Presentation%20Review
(hmmm, ... didn't know I'd "blessed" anyone ;-) ...
Also, I've got about
a decade's experience with LVM ... and quite a bit with various volume
management software ... but "only" a hair under 2 years of using LVM
on LINUX - references:
http://www.rawbw.com/~mp/linux/lvm/notes.txt
... okay, so that's probably not 100% obvious from what's on those notes,
or what I might have stated (and I did rip through that very
quickly verbally), but the very first "Logical Volume Management software"
I ever used was LVM ... on HP-UX (in 1995, or possibly not until 1996).
... technicalities, anyway. :-)
... hmmm, an I just spotted a teensy typo in my notes now too, to fix
(that "<~=1995" should be ">~=1995"
)

I also note some other confusing or potentially confusing stuff.
If one signs up for a new (wiki) account on the site, the e-mail
shows up as from offroadgeek@gmail.com ... other current (as opposed to
older) pages still show Michael Hubbard as contact.

To the extent feasible, it may be better to have the various key contacts
as "roles" on the web pages - e.g. functional aliases (such as webmaster),
... those can then then be aliased to send to the person(s)/team(s) responsible
for covering those items/issues.  To the extent that folks don't much like
such an impersonal approach, those (at least on the web pages)
could potentially be links to a "credits"
or contact page, or something like that - with roles there, ... and names,
etc., but with links still using functional e-mail aliases.  This can make
things a lot more maintainable and clean, particularly when
responsibilities/availability
may shift around, or someone takes a 2 month vacation in Europe, ... or what
have you.

Hopefully some of these points aren't horribly redundant with what may have
been mentioned before, but thought I'd at least mention some of them, in case
they'd not been mentioned earlier.