[Balug-admin] Recent site changes.

Xavier balug-talk@xav.to
Sat May 21 21:15:48 PDT 2005

Michael Paoli wrote:
> Well, ... good that the information's there :-) ...
>
> But I did stumble across some issues, ... some of which may be a bit
> problematic/confusing for "user experience/interface" and such.
>
> The link off the main page:
> Review of lecture covering LVM
> http://www.balug.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1
>
> doesn't (at least under Lynx or Mozilla 1.0.0) seem to lead to
> what one would expect for

That'd be why I copied it to the wiki. If an admin tries to edit it, its
clearly there, and there are no obvious "hide story body" options
enabled, But viewed normally, postnuke apparently screws up, which is
why I am gaining renown as "the guy who hates postnuke".

Only reason I didn't move to erase the original review is because I
didn't put it up there in the first place, and I'm holding out a feeble
hope someone knows where to kick postnuke to make it behave properly.

As I said before somewhere, if I had a VCR that acted as badly as this,
I would have gone through a fit of stomping up and down on it with a
look of insane glee on my face.

> I did find this URL, which seems to get to the content I'm thinking would be
> expected:
> http://www.balug.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpWiki&file=index&pagename=May%202005%20Presentation%20Review

Yeah, thats the one I copied to. I was hoping that was the one people
would first notice, maybe I should build up the nerve to slay the
original article if it is that big of a trap.

> I also note some other confusing or potentially confusing stuff.
> If one signs up for a new (wiki) account on the site, the e-mail
> shows up as from offroadgeek@gmail.com ... other current (as opposed to
> older) pages still show Michael Hubbard as contact.
>
> To the extent feasible, it may be better to have the various key contacts
> as "roles" on the web pages - e.g. functional aliases (such as webmaster),
> ... those can then then be aliased to send to the person(s)/team(s) responsible
> for covering those items/issues.  To the extent that folks don't much like
> such an impersonal approach, those (at least on the web pages)
> could potentially be links to a "credits"
> or contact page, or something like that - with roles there, ... and names,
> etc., but with links still using functional e-mail aliases.  This can make
> things a lot more maintainable and clean, particularly when
> responsibilities/availability
> may shift around, or someone takes a 2 month vacation in Europe, ... or what
> have you.

Well, I've personally shrugged off interest in managing the mail server
side of the site, but I believe someone else got the job. If they're
present, they could feel free to look at the options for setting up mail
aliases under balug.org, then I or someone else (whoever is faster I
guess) can run through the site swapping contact addresses around.

Its a good idea, I think.