[Balug-admin] draft for "announce"

Larry Platzek larryp@inow.com
Wed Sep 21 18:13:18 PDT 2005

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005, Michael Paoli wrote:

> Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 07:54:47 -0700
> From: Michael Paoli <mp@rawbw.com>
> To: balug-admin-balug.org@lists.balug.org
> Subject: [Balug-admin] draft for "announce"
>
> I was thinking "we" (one of us "announce" moderators) could send this
> out on the "announce" list ... anyone want to add/change anything before
> it goes out?  If I don't hear otherwise and don't see it (or something
> mostly covering/resembling it) sent out within about 24 hrs. or so, I'd
> probably go ahead and send it out (might be at least somewhat preferable
> if someone else sends it, so I'm not announcing myself :-)).  Anyway
> for the "announce" list item, I'm proposing (have drafted) what's
> shown below - use the line immediately above the first "cut" (8<--) line
> as the subject, and use everyting between, but not including the "cut"
> lines for the body of the message.  Also, once the e-mail has gone
> out on the "announce" list (draft of which includes presentation
> details on the October meeting), short text blurbs suitable for the
> web site can also be found in:
> http://lists.balug.org/pipermail/balug-admin-balug.org/2005-September/000068.html
> On the web site, there could also be suitable link(s) from such short
> text to the URL for the archive copy of the "announce" item that goes
> out on the "announce" list.
> Perhaps also even include on the web site a small/tiny blurb and link on
> yesterday's meeting (to: http://www.digitaltippingpoint.com/).
>
> BALUG news: 2005-10-18 meeting: Shell Programming; and other BALUG news
> 8<--8<--8<--8<--8<--8<--8<--8<--8<--8<--8<--8<--8<--8<--8<--8<--8<--8<--

> BALUG 2005-10-18 meeting presentation: Shell Programming, by Michael Paoli
>
> This presentation promises to be a quite useful, informative,
> interesting, well referenced and fast introduction to Bourne (sh) and
> compatible [Korn (ksh), POSIX, Bash (bash), ash, etc.] shells.
>
> The presentation will cover a fast, but thorough tour of the shell and
> shell programming.  It will cover all the way from why one would want to
> learn shell, why start with Bourne, etc., how to compactly learn it,
> through and including most key features of shell programming, and some
> key differences and caveats among the shells, and a collection of
> references to help round out leaning about shell programming.
>
> About Michael Paoli, our presenter for this event:
> Michael Paoli has been doing UNIX systems administration for well over a
> decade, been doing LINUX systems administration for over 7 years, and
> has been using and programming Bourne and compatible shells (bash,
> etc.) since even earlier than all that.  He's also done well received
> classes/labs/presentations before, including topics of security, shells
> and Logical Volume Manager (LVM).
>
> For meeting time, location, cost (dinner), etc., please see the BALUG
> web site:
> http://www.balug.org/

> BALUG 2005-09-20 speaker: The Digital Tipping Point, by Christian Einfeldt

> [...]
I can try to put something like you wish on the announce list.
I do not know how to put the major block on the web site but I can/will
update the short blurb. I did at least say Michael would be doing a
presentation at the October meeting.

Xavier or Michael Hubbard:
Could you delete and then make a block that I can add the text into
for the October meeting. I tried but block made has no place to put the
text. It would be nice to know how to make the block my self.

I would really rather have some one else do the job of putting the text up
on the web site.

I under stand Michael Paoli not wanting to send to announce list and other
place him self for his presentation.

I use Pine to read email on my Isp's machine so would have to rekey
anything I put on the web site my self not just cut and paste.

  Larry Platzek  larryp@inow.com