[Balug-admin] draft for "announce"

Michael Paoli mp@rawbw.com
Wed Sep 21 07:54:47 PDT 2005

I was thinking "we" (one of us "announce" moderators) could send this
out on the "announce" list ... anyone want to add/change anything before
it goes out?  If I don't hear otherwise and don't see it (or something
mostly covering/resembling it) sent out within about 24 hrs. or so, I'd
probably go ahead and send it out (might be at least somewhat preferable
if someone else sends it, so I'm not announcing myself :-)).  Anyway
for the "announce" list item, I'm proposing (have drafted) what's
shown below - use the line immediately above the first "cut" (8<--) line
as the subject, and use everyting between, but not including the "cut"
lines for the body of the message.  Also, once the e-mail has gone
out on the "announce" list (draft of which includes presentation
details on the October meeting), short text blurbs suitable for the
web site can also be found in:
http://lists.balug.org/pipermail/balug-admin-balug.org/2005-September/000068.html
On the web site, there could also be suitable link(s) from such short
text to the URL for the archive copy of the "announce" item that goes
out on the "announce" list.
Perhaps also even include on the web site a small/tiny blurb and link on
yesterday's meeting (to: http://www.digitaltippingpoint.com/).

BALUG news: 2005-10-18 meeting: Shell Programming; and other BALUG news
8<--8<--8<--8<--8<--8<--8<--8<--8<--8<--8<--8<--8<--8<--8<--8<--8<--8<--

BALUG 2005-10-18 meeting presentation: Shell Programming, by Michael Paoli

This presentation promises to be a quite useful, informative,
interesting, well referenced and fast introduction to Bourne (sh) and
compatible [Korn (ksh), POSIX, Bash (bash), ash, etc.] shells.

The presentation will cover a fast, but thorough tour of the shell and
shell programming.  It will cover all the way from why one would want to
learn shell, why start with Bourne, etc., how to compactly learn it,
through and including most key features of shell programming, and some
key differences and caveats among the shells, and a collection of
references to help round out leaning about shell programming.

About Michael Paoli, our presenter for this event:
Michael Paoli has been doing UNIX systems administration for well over a
decade, been doing LINUX systems administration for over 7 years, and
has been using and programming Bourne and compatible shells (bash,
etc.) since even earlier than all that.  He's also done well received
classes/labs/presentations before, including topics of security, shells
and Logical Volume Manager (LVM).

For meeting time, location, cost (dinner), etc., please see the BALUG
web site:
http://www.balug.org/

BALUG 2005-09-20 speaker: The Digital Tipping Point, by Christian Einfeldt

The Digital Tipping Point: The Culture Of Freedom In Cyberspace
We had a great presentation by Christian Einfeldt on The Digital Tipping
Point, including lots of information on the movie project, and a 9
minute sample of very impressive material which is likely to be be used,
at least in substantial part, in the film.  The Digital Tipping Point is
an open source documentary film project.

"We are approaching a digital tipping point." "One documentary film, the
Digital Tipping Point: the culture of freedom in cyberspace, will peer
into the future to see how this change might come about, and what it
means for humanity."

So, ... just because a BALUG meeting doesn't indicate, or indicate
reasonably well ahead of time that we've got a speaker/presentation,
should not be taken as an indicator that we won't have an exciting,
interesting meeting anyway - and possibly including speaker/presentation.
So, make those meetings! :-)
(Sorry it wasn't better announced/publicized, seems there was probably
a communication error or omission).

http://www.digitaltippingpoint.com/

BALUG "announce" <balug-announce-balug.org@lists.balug.org> moderated

The BALUG "announce" list <balug-announce-balug.org@lists.balug.org>
should now be moderated.  Hopefully that will keep the list relatively
low traffic and more on-traget for more "important"/newsy BALUG
focused/oriented announcements (e.g. meeting announcements/reminders,
important BALUG news, etc.).

More general BALUG related discussions are of course always welcomed on
the "talk" list <balug-talk-balug.org@lists.balug.org>, which remains
"unmoderated" (though one must be a subscriber to the list, to post to
it).

BALUG "admin" <balug-admin-balug.org@lists.balug.org.> archives ...

The BALUG "admin" <balug-admin-balug.org@lists.balug.org.> archives are
now open to the public (so one can read/browse those without having to
be a subscriber, search engines can index them, etc.)  For the
interested, curious, and/or bored, the "admin" list is focused more
towards the "internal business" and administrivia of BALUG.  If you
would like to help out BALUG, or might want to get some ideas on where
we could use some assistance or more volunteerism, that list (and/or its
archives) can often be a good place to start.