[balug-admin] UNIX/Linux Management Opportunity - Google

'Rick Moen' rick@linuxmafia.com
Fri Jun 23 17:14:08 PDT 2006

Quoting Amy Klein (aklein@google.com):

> Hi Rick:
>
> Thank you for getting back to me!
>
> Question for you...How large in your group?
> What type of topics are you looking to be presented?

Hi, Amy.  The group's attendence tends to vary a lot based on topic and
(presumably) conflicting events.  Meetings are held at the upstairs
banquet room of a Chinatown restaurant (the Four Seas) that can
accomodate several hundred people, and the speaker's presentation
follows a banquet-style dinner.  (The speaker eats courtesy of the
audience, of course.)  Typical BALUG meeting attendance is about 50
people -- sometimes more, sometimes fewer.

The audience is predominantly technical, so the best sorts of
presentations are likewise, e.g., presentations about aspects of Linux
and open source at Google, or Chris di Bona doing his talk about the
Summer of Code program, or Marc Merlin talking about Exim (both friends
of mine <grin>).

Odds are, if a topic would be interesting to Google's own engineers and
sysadmins, it would be to BALUG's membership, too.

I am not actually the person who handles speakers for BALUG, but I'll be
forwarding our mail to the people who do (CC'd).  Thank you for your
interest in BALUG!