[balug-admin] (forw) UNIX/Linux Management Opportunity - Google

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Fri Jun 23 17:15:21 PDT 2006

----- Forwarded message from Amy Klein <aklein@google.com> -----

From: Amy Klein <aklein@google.com>
To: balug-talk-owner@lists.balug.org
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 15:03:21 -0700
Subject: UNIX/Linux Management Opportunity - Google

Dear Moderator:

My name is Amy and I'm part of the Leadership team at Google.  I'm looking
for highly technical Managers/Directors who are are very strong in C, C++,
or Java, who also have a strong background in Linux/Unix, Networking, and
Management.

I recently found your Linux User Group site; I was wondering if you could
post the below position to your mailing list for me?   I have included the
job description for your convenience.  Thank you...I am trying to get the
word out!
The below position is located in the following cities:

Mountain View, CA /  Santa Monica, CA / Dublin, Ireland / Zurich,
Switzerland .  We provide extensive relocation benefits!

And please don't hesitate to forward on my contact information to anyone who
might be interested.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Sincerely,

Amy - Google Talent Scout
Leadership, Google.com Engineering
650-253-1840
 <BLOCKED::mailto:aklein@google.com> aklein@google.com

The group I'm supporting is Google.com Engineering. This multi-talented
group of engineers and leaders are responsible for ensuring the quality,
speed, and uptime of Google's services
and tools and managing the production systems and network they run on.  From
code-level troubleshooting of traffic anomalies to maintenance of our most
cutting edge services; from monitoring
and alerts to building new automation infrastructure, our SRE engineers and
leaders are in the thick of everything related to keeping Google.com running
at peak.

Interested parties can send an updated copy of their resume to:
<BLOCKED::blocked::mailto:aklein@google.com> aklein@google.com and note the
correct title and location.

Engineering Manager/Director, Google.com

We're looking for a highly technical, hands-on Software Engineering
Managers/Directors to lead a team of Google software engineers and systems
administrators for the Google.com group. The Google.com teams are directly
responsible for Google's stellar uptime record, and act as the guardians and
custodians of Google's user-visible services. In this leadership role, you
will be responsible for ensuring that Google users can always reach and use
all of the services under your team's care.

Requirements:

*	Very high technical competence and strong academic record.

*	BA/BS in Computer Science preferred; MS/PhD a plus.

*	3-10+ years of relevant experience managing software development
teams

*	Excellent understanding of coding principles.

*	Strong understanding of UNIX/Linux.

*	5+ years of relevant hands-on technical experience, and a record of
individual technical achievement.

*	Deep understanding of networking; understanding of how to isolate,
diagnose, and resolve service delivery components (service delivery
components include servers, networks, and applications); be familiar with
the functionality, operating, and failure modes of key networking devices
(routers, switches, bridges, firewalls, hardware load balancers); be able to
identify networking as the potential cause of a service issue using
server-resident tools to generate this data (tcpdump, ping, traceroute,
etc.); familiarity in interpreting the output of these tools; familiarity
with common network topologies, protocols, and tools; have some notion of
common network security exploits -- and their remedies; understanding of
troubleshooting at the packet level.

*	Skilled in leading projects, especially in deploying live end-user
systems.

*	That rare mix of intelligence, integrity, domain knowledge, verbal
agility, and diplomacy which allows you to rapidly earn the trust of
technically-astute teams across the company.