[balug-admin] (forw) Re: (moderation, job postings, etc.)

Fri Nov 17 10:58:37 PST 2006

I thought I recalled such an option ... perhaps it's buried in
the details.  Looking again, I see:
Should the list moderators get immediate notice of new requests, as well as
daily notices about collected ones? [ ] No   [X] Yes
And was thinking we ought to change that to: [X] No   [ ] Yes
>From the linked "help" text, we have (_emphasis_ added):
balug-announce Mailing list Configuration Help
admin_immed_notify Option
admin_immed_notify (general): Should the list moderators get immediate notice of
new requests, as well as daily notices about collected ones?

List moderators (and list administrators) are sent daily reminders of requests
pending approval, like subscriptions to a moderated list, or _postings that are
being held for one reason or another_. Setting this option causes notices to be
sent immediately on the arrival of new requests as well.

I was thinking, if no one (or not of the list administrators/moderators)
object, we probably ought to change that option to No, and that would
cut down the "annoyance" factor of the "nag" e-mails (perhaps also
encouraging more folks, as/if needed/warranted to get themselves also
added so they get those "nag" e-mails too).  Again, I think it's
exceedingly rare (if ever) that items that get held for moderation
require moderators to know about their being held "immediately", as
opposed to having a delay of up to 24 hours before they're modified.
So I'd tend to think it's probably more beneficial to flip that
immediate notification option to No ... and for all 3 BALUG lists.

Of course I'm also hoping the option behaves as "advertised" (documented).