[balug-admin] speaker coordinators

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Tue Sep 26 16:39:58 PDT 2006

Quoting Jonathan Jefferies (jjefferies@gracenote.com):

> At the risk of "me-to"ism this sounds like a very interesting subject
> well worth attending.

FWIW, I don't really recognise "malware detection" as a separate thing
worthy of study, generally.  By contrast, detecting _root compromise_ is
worthwhile as a last-ditch measure when/if your primary measures fail,
i.e. prevention, damage reduction, defence in depth, hardening.

In particular, file-based IDSes like AIDE, Integrit, Samhain, and
Prelude-IDS are what "rpm -qa" wants to be when it grows up and gets
serious.   (Question for any Scarlet Chapeau guys who still seriously
uses that to detect root compromise:  Why would /var/lib/rpm/* be
reliable on a compromised host?)

I've advised some sysadmins that they should sell use of file-based
IDESes to management as "virus scanners for Unix".  (Doing the right
thing for the wrong reasons is a whole lot better than nothing, eh?)