[Balug-admin] Immediate response needed (Re LinuxWorld Expo)

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Wed Jul 11 02:40:07 PDT 2007

Quoting Michael Paoli (Michael.Paoli@cal.berkeley.edu):

> Since there seems to be an open question of exactly what user groups
> will be represented and/or have volunteers at such booth(s) at
> LinuxWorld - and that might not even be known reasonably well in advance,
> perhaps a logical "group" to have such a combined booth under would be
> CABAL - Consortium of All Bay Area Linux

Just as a follow-up, CABAL really was in (long) past years been a sort
of umbrella consortium for Linux/BSD in the Bay Area -- specifically,
for installfests.  Basically, Duncan Mackinnon, Nick Moffitt, Mike
Higashi, Doug Lym, and a bunch of my other fellow San Franciscans, in
the day, used to be a sort of portable squadron of installfest experts
-- and we were always helping out BALUG, SVLUG, EBLUG, Smaug, and others
in running _their_ installfests.

The name "Consortium of All Bay Area Linux" was suggested by Duncan as a
sort of in-joke reference to that -- at the time that we adopted a
separate identity from that of (in theory) a SIG of BALUG.  Further
history is here:  http://linuxmafia.com/cabal/installfest/#cabal

CABAL doesn't do highly-public installfests (public as in, in front of
people who didn't go out of their way to come to a Linux group's
meeting) nearly as frequently as it did in olden days, mostly because
the purpose of those outreach events became largely obsolete after
around 1998.  However, we do continue to have our in-house install
events, twice monthly.