[Balug-Admin] BALUG Event Announcement Emails

Andrew Fife afife@untangle.com
Mon Nov 19 20:05:10 PST 2007

Dear All:

Based on a couple of email conversations that I had with Rick Moen last
week (both on the balug_admin list and privately), I'd like to touch base
with the rest of the group regarding the use of other LUG's mailing lists
for BALUG announcements.  As such I'm not going to do a reminder email
blast of other LUG's lists for tomorrows event.

The basic concern is some people on specific LUG lists don't like other
LUGs posting their events.  The rational is "If I wanted BALUG
announcements, I'd subscribe to the BALUG announce list."  I have
personally only heard this complaint from Rick, and my gut tells me that
his in the minority, but I don't want to be naive to the fact that others
may share his sentiment so advice/opinions here would definitely be
appreciated.

The problem is that other LUGs mailing lists are a great way for BALUG to
get the word out and abandoning them will make it quit difficult to let
folks know about all of the great speakers we have lined up for 2008.

My proposed solution, that I believe Rick supports, is to contact the
organizations individually and ask them how to handle their lists.

Thoughts?

-Andrew

Andrew Fife
Untangle - Open Source Security Gateway