[Balug-Admin] BALUG Event Announcement Emails

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Mon Nov 19 20:41:45 PST 2007

Quoting Andrew Fife (afife@untangle.com):

> The problem is that other LUGs mailing lists are a great way for BALUG to
> get the word out and abandoning them will make it quit difficult to let
> folks know about all of the great speakers we have lined up for 2008.

What I suggested, specifically, is (1) doing a one-time posting calling
LUG members' attention to BALUG's currently exceptional slate of
upcoming speakers.

And then, from that point forward, (2) post to other LUGs' mailing lists
"About BALUG" reminders no more than _quarterly_, suggesting signup at
BALUG's very-low-traffic, announce mailing list, via
http://lists.balug.org/listinfo.cgi/balug-announce-balug.org , to
receive timely meeting announcements + other BALUG news.

If people know of BALUG's existence, of balug-announce's ease of
signup, and of the latter's very low traffic, and choose not to
subscribe, then blitzing their LUG mailing lists anyway because it's
a "great way to get the word out" is rude.

And remains that way even where LUG leaders give their OK.