[BALUG-Admin] (not) Meeting with the Small Business Administration (SBA)

Tue Jun 10 07:34:31 PDT 2008

[To:/Cc: addresses seriously trimmed]

I'm mostly inclined to agree (with what Andrew said).  For BALUG to be
(more) interested, the stuff would need to be more relevant to BALUG -
e.g. more specifically Linux or other related free and open source
software related to Linux, etc.

Perhaps at some not-so-near future time, BALUG might be interested in
something a bit different for a talk/presentation - e.g. perhaps a
panel of recruiters / hiring managers in the Linux realm, or matters
about going into business for one's self in the Linux realm, but at
least presently, I think BALUG's doing quite well getting speakers
and such on topics that are generally of more interest to BALUG's
members.

You're always welcome to come to meetings, and informally talk to
folks and such (network, network, network), but the other items
you suggested aren't likely to be of particular interest to BALUG
anytime soon.

If you're on BALUG's "talk" list
http://lists.balug.org/listinfo.cgi/balug-talk-balug.org
you can post something there - as long as it's consistent
with policy (most notably general prohibition on job postings).

references/excerpts/+inline comments:

Hmmmm, if the only BALUG address you sent this to is rsvp@balug.org,
then which meeting are you RSVPing for, and for how many people?
You did read the context in which you saw that email address, right?
We look forward to seeing you at our meeting.

> Subject: Meeting with the Small Business Administration !!

If you want to look like a spammer, set high priority on messages
when your recipients don't consider them to be high priority.
(at least to me personally, when high priority is set on an email
and I don't recognize the sending email address in a positive way,
it signals to me that someone wants me to read something I'm most
likely uninterested or not very interested in).
See also: http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#urgent

> I'm hosting a meeting with recruiters and the Small Business
> Administration
> (www.sba.org) for next Tuesday - June 17th.
>
> Evite URL: http://www.evite.com/app/publicUrl/CWWBHDBITKJETMBMOIQE/sba
>
> I would like for you to attend this meeting - so that we can chat about
> perhaps having a similar meeting with the Linux LUG Heads in about 30-60
> days.  Folks can learn about getting small business loans - and actually
> talk with a lender (no matter what the credit score) - and could be
> instrumental in helping some folks out !!!
>
> I know that the BALUG meeting is the 3rd Tuesday of the month -any chance
> we could join these two meetings together... Or have one on the first
> floor - the other event on the 2nd... Having both groups meet up with the
> SBA before head... (just a thought !)

Generally 3rd Tuesday - this month is a bit different.
We won't be "joining meetings" or the like, but you're welcome to
come to the BALUG meeting.

> This can be VERY helpful information to independent contractors - and
> people who might to entertain starting a small business - providing Linux
> tech support, sales, etc.

Possibly yes, but likely only of interest to some small to moderate
percentage of BALUG folks.

> I am also DESPERATELY trying to find a candidate for this SENIOR LINUX
> SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR (see job description)...  Any attention to you can
> get this position - would certainly be GREATLY APPRECIATED !!

Your desperation isn't ours.  Many recruiters/agencies/employers, etc.
are "desperately" trying to find the right candidates.  For candidates
that are interested in finding opportunities, they generally know where
and how to find lots of such opportunities and openings.  FYI, I've
also added the boilerplate response BALUG often uses when folks ask
stuff like "can I post my urgent hot job on your list(s)" - have a
peek towards the end of this email - you may find it useful.
See also: http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#urgent

> Hope to see you at this SBA meeting - and lets start making plans for one
> with the SBA and the local Linux Groups - sometime in the VERY near
> future.

Not planning such, sorry.

> It's all about "community!" - especially during these very difficult
> economic times. !!

Network, network, network!
Economy is often quite sector specific.  For those with the skills looking
to work in Linux or related areas, the economy is rather to quite good, and
has been for a fair while now.  (around 2003 things were quite different -
that's when many recruiters took *long* vacations because they couldn't
get requisitions from clients; and many closed shop or shrunk
substantially).

> Keep in touch - and I'll do the same.
> Danny!
>
> Daniel Parrillo
> President / Sr. Technical Recruiter / Staffing Manager Strategi LLC Phone
> #: 415-695-1600
> E-mail: dparrillo@strategi.biz
>
> LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/thehonestrecruiter
>
> Electronic Privacy Notice. The information contained in this email message
> may be privileged, confidential, and protected from disclosure.  If you
> are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution, or
> copying is strictly prohibited.  If you think that you have received this
> email message in error, please email the sender at: dparrillo@strategi.biz

And if we are/were intended recipient (obviously so from the context) ...
:-)

And, BALUG's typical response on "can I post a job?" request/queries:
"
Can I post a job?

Not generally, but for starters, see:

At least at the present time, the list noted above is the only place
BALUG has for listing any job postings - and even then, only under the
quite specific conditions noted as policy for that list.

You're quite welcome to come to BALUG meeting(s) and make a short
announcement about position(s) you're trying to fill, and hand your
contact information out to whomever may be interested (and of course
you can also meet folks before the meeting starts, talk with folks over
dinner before any scheduled talk starts, and potentially meet and talk
with folks after the meeting too).

User Groups can be great resources for networking with folks, but
many/most of them have policies against, or significantly restricting
listing of job postings, or have relegated the area(s) where job
postings are allowed to list(s) or area(s) specifically designated for
such, or only allow
such listings after they're moderated/approved.
"